Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dental drama

(6 Posts)
Peaceloveandcustardcreams Mon 06-Jul-15 22:28:30

I've had root canal treatment in one of my molars, but there's hardly any visible tooth left. Dentists keep filling it but it crumbles away again after a few months and now there's so little left I don't know if it's even worth saving anymore.

Recently I was due to have a crown fitted to it but the dentist found a tiny amount of bacteria deep in the root canal and didn't bother with the crown. That surgery closed so she didn't offer any other options.

The tooth is next to a wisdom tooth which I had extracted (it didn't have room to erupt fully), so if I have this tooth extracted as well there will be a large gap. Not visible but annoying when I'm eating, and also pretty depressing since I'm under 30 and have tried so hard for years to save this tooth.

What should I do? I'm feeling disheartened and like it's not worth any more effort and I should just have it out. What about implants? Can I have it out and then save up for one? The thought really freaks me out, and is it even possible without any remaining tooth?

Argh. I was supposed to be ringing round dentists today (tooth crumbled yesterday) but I'm so anxious and I don't know what to do for the best.

My teeth have taken a beating from self-induced vomiting and extreme teeth grinding for years and years, but it's only this one tooth that has caused so much bother.

Bloody things. Any dentists about perhaps? Or anyone who has been in a similar situation? Or anyone to kick me up the bum to ring and find a new dentist tomorrow?

Peaceloveandcustardcreams Tue 07-Jul-15 07:44:04

Bump bump toothless old crone bump.

MatildaTheCat Tue 07-Jul-15 18:53:25

Am posting out of sympathy though different situation. I have had crowns on molars which have been successful. I lost a premolar last year which I had replaced with an implant. I can answer your question about this. You must have the tooth extracted and then leave a significant period for the bone to heal before an implant can be started. It is done in stages and takes ages and a lot of appointments. It cost £2k. Would I bother for a back molar that doesn't show? Probably not. However, I suggest that if you need the tooth to be removed then wait and see how you get used to it before committing to an implant as it can be done later.

My friend lost two molars last year and was planning on implants but I don't think she's going to bother now.

Good luck.

Peaceloveandcustardcreams Wed 08-Jul-15 13:58:23

Thanks Matilda! Good to know the implant option is still there. I do worry that if I have it out with the intention of getting an implant, I'll just get used to the gap and never get around to it, and be toothless sad
I still haven't phoned a dentist.

Willdoitinaminute Wed 08-Jul-15 22:49:04

Dentist here. I have had a molar extracted, the same one you describe. Because it is right at the back I really don't notice it is missing and have no intention of having an implant. If it is flat to the gum at the moment then it will feel no different if you have the remnant removed.
And unless you have lost a lot of molars you won't notice any change when eating. Hope this helps.

Peaceloveandcustardcreams Thu 09-Jul-15 09:56:37

Thank you Willdo. That's actually a very good point that I hadn't considered; apart from a jagged sharp bit of edge, the rest of the tooth is flush with my gum, so maybe I wouldn't miss it as much as I thought? I've been fine all week with it. Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now