Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help needle like object stuck in foot !

(12 Posts)
thriftychicken Mon 06-Jul-15 13:38:55

Its not an actual needle , it is the end part of ds2 fishing float ( messy angler ) but it looks like a needle , a fattish one .

I stood on it this morning and im not sure if part of it is still stuck inside my foot . Can barely even see where it went in .It really hurts to walk though or move my toes .
what should i do ?

VivaLeBeaver Mon 06-Jul-15 13:45:24

I had similar. years ago. Went to a&e, they spent ages digging about in my foot and got lots of bits of metal out. If you have a minor injuries place they might do it but I don't think a GP would.

Anomite Mon 06-Jul-15 13:46:08

You can get some stuff from boots- it draws stuff out, like splinters etc.. You could try this. It's called magnesium sulphate- about £4 for a little pot, you just layer it on and put a plaster over it.. Don't ask me how it works! Magic!?!!

thriftychicken Mon 06-Jul-15 15:57:47

thanks , i think if its in there its just one piece . bigger than any splinters ive had . like i say , sewing needle size or fatter . still cant stand on it . really didnt want to have to go to A&E . bugger .

VivaLeBeaver Mon 06-Jul-15 16:29:59

I'm not sure mag sulp will work on metal the size of a sewing needle or more? Id get it out ASAP.

LuisSuarezTeeth Mon 06-Jul-15 16:35:14

Try pulling the skin apart where you think it is, rather than squeezing to encourage it out

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Mon 06-Jul-15 16:52:08

Can you go to nurse at GP surgery. Or if not then A and E? I wouldn't mess about with magnesium sulphate for this.

Turtlefeet Mon 06-Jul-15 16:55:02

My DC stepped on a sewing needle and it snapped off somewhere in her foot.

Minor injuries sent us to A&E after xray showed where it is.

The hospital really didnt want to do anything about it despite DD hardly being able to walk on it. Almost 4 months later after several outpatient appointments they agreed to try and remove it. She had an op and it was taken out no problem at all.

She healed up quickly and has not had any problems since.

EeyoresTail Mon 06-Jul-15 17:00:45

There was a woman on the last series of 24 hours in a&e who stood on a needle. The Dr was digging around for what seemed hours before he finally managed to get it out!
Sorry thrifty you probably don't want to know that

thriftychicken Mon 06-Jul-15 17:47:58

yuk !
dh is taking me to the minor injuries as he thinks pond germs from the fishery may kill me in the night if its in there lol
hes not impressed as hes been up since 3.
i cant do much pulling apart of the skin luis as its too sore and im a wimp !
if theres no more of it inside my foot i'll be in the doghouse grin

Turtlefeet Mon 06-Jul-15 20:20:46

Good luck Thrifty. Hope you are seen relatively quickly and get a good painless end result!

thriftychicken Mon 06-Jul-15 21:10:44

thanks everyone
back home now . x - ray showed a big piece of metal embedded too far in for them to do anything .
ive been sent home with antibiotics and should get a call tomorrow to go to the hospital and have it removed .
They said under general anesthetic but being knocked out is one of my biggest fears ( i know it sounds daft) im hoping i can insist on a local ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now