Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Piles

(12 Posts)
DextersMistress Mon 06-Jul-15 13:17:10

They first appeared when pg with dc1 5 years ago and got worse with dc2. Ds2 is now 2.5 and I'm sick of the bloody things.

I used to have periods of them going away for a few months but now they're just constantly there. They have bled every single time I've been to the toilet now for a year. I went to the GP about 6 months ago to make sure that's definitely where the blood was coming from and she confirmed irritated piles.

What can I do? Standing for an hour or more at a time makes them drop more and it's so uncomfortable sad

DextersMistress Mon 06-Jul-15 17:12:16

Hopeful bump

GlitzAndGigglesx Mon 06-Jul-15 17:32:34

Have you tried Anusol cream? I suffered terribly with the pain and bleeding earlier in my pregnancy and tried this stuff and it really took the pain and itching away

DextersMistress Mon 06-Jul-15 17:48:35

Yes I tried it when I was pg and they were particularly bad, it just stung tbh and didn't help at all.

Peaceloveandcustardcreams Mon 06-Jul-15 22:32:26

I used suppositories when I was pregnant and just after the birth when they were quite bad. I'm in one of those nice phases where they disappear for a while at the moment. Did the GP not suggest anything?

Justyouwaitandsee Mon 06-Jul-15 22:36:14

Ask your gp for Proctosedyl suppositories and ointment. After having piles for years and anusol doing nothing, I will be forever grateful to the GP who first suggested this. It cleared even my worst ever case of piles (after birth) up in just over a week...

frick Mon 06-Jul-15 22:47:59

I do sympathise.

I generally try and keep them at bay by using over the counter cream and suppositories as well as making sure I don't get constipated (I use lactulose if I am getting a bit constipated). Had a nasty flare up a few months ago and went to the Gp who gave me cream which did in fact clear them up after a week or so....can't remember the name of it but I do recall it was steroid based.
If they are really bad and don't go away there are also surgical options you could discuss with the doctor.

Hope you find some relief soon. I know how bloody uncomfortable it can be...actually, I met up with my oldest girl fiends a while ago and we were all moaning about piles..saying how it is actually remarkable how something that can make you so bloody uncomfortable, and miserable, is so common and just considered a normal health problem. (We did then go on to have a fun evening..once we got the commiserating about piles out of the way!).

Minime85 Tue 07-Jul-15 06:51:51

I'd go back to the doctor just to confirm again and see what else can be done. I was told that is what I had then another doctor said it was a fissure and finally none of those and I was refered and it is actually none of those and a large skin tag instead!

bangersmashandbeans Tue 07-Jul-15 06:58:25

Ask for a referral to a consultant to discuss banding and/or injecting them. I have suffered horribly with them and was even considering having them removed but research told me the pain is incredible. I had them injected and banded 2 years ago and have only had one minor flare up since. Don't be fobbed off by your gp, piles are the most awful thing to have to live with!

DextersMistress Tue 07-Jul-15 09:49:10

Thanks everyone. They really do make you miserable don't they?

Can I get the suppositories over the counter? Would try them first before going back to the GP.

peace no she didn't actually, just confirmed that was what was causing the bleeding.

Footle Tue 07-Jul-15 16:21:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

frick Tue 07-Jul-15 22:15:15

Yeah...most chemists sell the suppositories.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now