Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Suspect mole: please help me prepare GP appointment

(9 Posts)
OsloGin Sun 05-Jul-15 12:50:26

I have got an appointment with my GP about a suspect mole on my hand. It is not until the end of the week. Due to family history I am trying to keep calm. I really want to insist on a referral. What should I do to get the most out of my appointment? I am not very confident so want to do some prep. The mole itself is small but has started going scabby. I have been so careful with sun protection but keep berating myself for not doing more.

Ihatemarmite2 Sun 05-Jul-15 15:20:50

what does your mole look like? Have you looked online at the risk factors for moles? ie irregular border, change in colour, change in size, bleeding, black centre etc?

It may well be an age spot.

Your GP should refer you if they have any doubts at all about it.

Your family history is not really an issue because skin cancer is lifestyle -related, rather than blood related! If all your family is fair skinned and doesn't tan then that is a possible link, but it's sun that causes skin cancer.

You don't need to prepare for much really. Just show him / her your hand and say you want the mole checking out because you are concerned that it could be skin cancer.

hellsbells99 Sun 05-Jul-15 15:25:12

Oslo - my DB has just had a second mole removed due to family history - it was quite small but had grown and not totally regular. They have told him they don't think it is anything to worry about at all - just waiting for the results now.

notinacton Sun 05-Jul-15 15:28:50

I have had a melanoma. You just need to get your GP to refer you to a dermatologist. If he/she refuses, go see a different GP - but if you make clear that you are worried, and your family history, she/he should refer you. They don't want to be responsible if something is wrong. Good luck!

OsloGin Sun 05-Jul-15 15:31:33

Thank you. Yes it is irregular in size and has grown and has a new dark bit. I will see if I can get an earlier appointment so I can do something other than freak out.

lljkk Sun 05-Jul-15 15:48:39

I have a few seborrhic kerotoses. I keep spotting them on other people, now. They go nicely scabby, itch, flake off, slowly grow, get darker with time. I think they're common enough on hands. They develop with age & are thought to be 100% benign but can be unsightly.

Just saying that plenty of mole-like growths are anything but dangerous. Good luck getting your diagnosis soon.

OsloGin Sun 05-Jul-15 15:51:00

Thank you so much. I know I need to keep an open mind.

Ihatemarmite2 Sun 05-Jul-15 16:19:43

As PP says I have one of these and had it checked out. They are not actually 'moles' with pigmentation from sun.

OsloGin Sun 05-Jul-15 16:31:39

Thanks. I really hope it is nothing. Will report back!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now