Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pain when standing

(7 Posts)
governmentworker Sun 05-Jul-15 11:01:50

Slightly random question, but does everyone find standing painful?

If I stand for more than 5 minutes, my feet and lower legs ache although it's not massively painful - probably about a 3 out of 10 painwise. I had to stand for quite a while last night and my legs and feet still feel slightly achy this morning.

I know some people who have the same problem but others seem to be unaffected (e.g. happy to stand around in a bar when there are seats free etc). If some people are unaffected, is it just that they are used to standing for long periods? I am very physically active (playing sports etc) and am not overweight. I feel absolutely fine walking for 30 minutes (or more) but very uncomfortable standing for 30 minutes.

I did have flat feet as a child and am wondering if my feet are still slightly flat now and that could explain it - or does everyone feel the same level of pain and I just need to get used to it?

MarinaCoyle Sun 05-Jul-15 12:13:33

I was going to ask if you have flat feet! That can be a cause so might be worthwhile looking into getting them checked and get some orthotics if needed.

governmentworker Sun 05-Jul-15 21:29:11

Thanks. It never occurred to me until recently that maybe not everyone felt as uncomfortable/achy standing as I did!

GloGirl Mon 06-Jul-15 13:11:55

What shoes are you wearing? They need to have a slight heel. Some really flat ballet pumps are no good.

Channel Tom Cruise and keep a little heel on all your shoes grin

governmentworker Mon 06-Jul-15 23:18:01

I thought flat shoes would be comfiest! Maybe I need to rethink my footwear!

Selks Mon 06-Jul-15 23:29:12

Flat may be fine with a little arch support - try some decent insoles (with arch support).

GloGirl Mon 06-Jul-15 23:30:10

There are some 'flat' shoes that aren't really - like trainers. Not all flat shoes are bad. As I saud above something like a ballet pump is dreadful and really thin sole too gives no cushioning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now