Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anaemia - failed pre op assessment

(6 Posts)
Mysillydog Sat 04-Jul-15 20:56:43

I have been referred for an endometrial ablation, but my Hb came back as 9.7 and I have been told that I am unfit for surgery. My Hb needs to be 12 for surgery. For me, 9.7 is not too bad a test result, it's been into the 8's which is why I'm having the surgery.

The hospital want me to go in for an iron infusion, but I have just started a month long placement for a job which could lead onto a permanent role next year. I don't want to take a sick day when I actually feel fine. Is it possible for me to get my haemoglobin upto 12 if I persevere with iron tabs? I have only been on the waiting list for a week, and ideally would like a September operation.

Flisspaps Sat 04-Jul-15 20:59:51

Aren't iron tablets meant to be a really ineffective way of getting iron into the body? You just shit most of it out grin

Have you tried the liquid supplements? Much more effective (Floradix/Ferroglobin?) than tablets at raising iron levels.

hiccupgirl Sat 04-Jul-15 22:21:08

I've been taking Sytron/Sodium Feredetate for anaemia for about 7 months now - on perscription. My hb level was down to 8.1 before I started but was up to 11.5 last month. I should take it 2x a day but often only take 1 due to stomach issues and not being able to stomach it at times.

I've got a pre OP assessment this week for an urgent operation so it will be interesting to see what it is and if it's going to be a problem or not.

MissSmiley Sat 04-Jul-15 22:27:59

Iron tablets take months if not years to work. The new iron infusion on the other hand takes 10 minutes. I had two one week and two the following. My ferritin went from 8 to 176! And I felt fantastic! Lunchtime appointment?

withalittlebitofluck Sat 04-Jul-15 22:31:23

I iron infusion and would recommend it... It did in 2 hours what iron tablets had been trying to do for years.

gobbin Sun 05-Jul-15 00:44:05

Iron infusions don't take all day. Maybe request a half-day off, your health is more important than work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now