Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Terrible joint pain, menopause or something else?

(8 Posts)
nowttodowithme Sat 04-Jul-15 19:38:41

I'm 46 and have the most awful joint pain, particularly my hips, knees and knuckles.

My periods have been all over the place the last few months, either short cycle or really long. My hair is dry and lank and I'm so tired.

My latest period is 18 days late and I can't be pregnant. I know I should go to the doctor but don't suppose there's a lot to be done if it's the menopause.

My mum has terrible osteo arthritis so I hope it's not that. hmm

NK346f2849X127d8bca260 Sat 04-Jul-15 22:41:26

Is the pain symmetrical?

nowttodowithme Sun 05-Jul-15 08:04:37

No it's worse on my left side.

Hissy Sun 05-Jul-15 08:36:31

Have you had any coughs/colds/viruses lately?

Are any of your joints swollen/hot? What is your diet like?

You could try multivitamins in the interim? See if that helps?

redannie118 Sun 05-Jul-15 14:00:49

Go to docs and get some bloods taken I went for almost identical reasons..joint pain..mood swings...etc thought it was menopause blood tests show I have lupus. Your pain could def be autoimmune eg rhuematoid arthritis so worth a visit good luck flowers

Hissy Sun 05-Jul-15 14:09:07

I a had swollen foot and a swollen finger, the joint pain, all blood tests are negative, although gout was/is a possibility. Dr now wonders if it's a reactional arthritis from a virus, either way op, you need to get a test done, there are plenty of things you can be prescribed for pain/inflammation, even if only to ease, not cure completely.

Ihatemarmite2 Sun 05-Jul-15 15:15:07

Conditions like arthritis are- unfortunately- often hereditary. It's quite possible that is what it is- osteo arthritis. This can become more evident round menopause because of lower oestrogen levels meaning less collagen and joints etc trying out. You need to see your dr for tests just to check what it is, and maybe adapt your diet- there is a bit of a thing about dairy being bad for arthritis, and fish oils etc helping.

emsy123 Mon 06-Jul-15 00:12:55

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now