Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Just struggling today. Anyone care to cheer me up?

(14 Posts)
Finola1step Sat 04-Jul-15 18:06:21

As the thread title really. Bit of background info so as not to drip feed. Had various mild but reoccurring health issues for a few years after dd was born. Various periods of time off work for lots of viruses, tonsillitis, pneumonia. Add in a thyroid cancer scare, bit if depression and anxiety.

Eventually found out that vitamin D levels were very, very low. Started treatment in the spring if last year and my health has steadily got better. All fabulous. DH has shouldered a lot of the strain in the past few years.

We have also lost my dad 2 years ago. The MIL was told that the breast cancer had returned. We knew it was not survivable. We made the best of it but she sadly passed away at Christmas.

So fast forward to now. I have been recovering from a herniated disc in my neck and trapped nerve. 7 weeks ago. Initial injury has settled well but nerve is bruised which causes quite a bit of pain. Still on strong meds which can make me pretty tired in the afternoons especially.

Went back to work 2 weeks ago on phased return. Am leaving in 2 weeks anyway to have more time at home with the dc.

So why the long, rambling post? Well today its just all a bit too much. I feel so flipping old. I'm 41 yet have aches and pains. I've been finding it hard to get down on the floor to play with the dc. I know it sounds silly, but I just feel bloody old and tired. I'm off to the GP on Monday for a review and having weekly physio. I know things will get better just flipping frustrated.

And to top it off, I'm lying in bed "resting" and the lad next door has just started his violin practise.

So anyone know any good jokes to cheer up this weary, long time mnetter?

Cheers for reading.

Finola1step Sat 04-Jul-15 18:15:30

Anyone?

SometimesItRains Sat 04-Jul-15 19:06:20

I don't know any jokes, but I'm hoping by now the violin practice may have stopped. The boy next door to us plays the trumpet. Play is a loose term but at least the amount of puff required to play it means his practising sessions never last too long.

It sounds like you've had a tough few years. Well done for coming through them. Hopefully someone will be along soon with something funny to cheer you up.

Finola1step Sat 04-Jul-15 19:21:22

Thank you Rains. Yes, the violin concerto has finished. He's a lovely boy and I'm vv lucky with my neighbours but the violingrin.

JamHoneyMarmite Sat 04-Jul-15 20:55:55

Well done on managing to remember things will get better, even though you're having a rubbish day (and have been through a lot).

My one and only joke: what do you call a three legged donkey? A wonky.

Ahem. You could always search through the funny threads in Classics and see if any of them can distract you better than me!

Finola1step Sat 04-Jul-15 21:01:13

Thank you Jam that did indeed make me smile. Shall try it on the dc tomorrow. Just writing it all down in my OP has made me feel strangely better. Lighter if that makes sense.

JamHoneyMarmite Sat 04-Jul-15 21:16:47

Glad you are feeling a bit better. Maybe writing it all down has reminded you how much hard stuff you've handled, and how strong you are? I hope so, because it's true.

I've remembered another one, it's a quote from Dinnerladies. That series raised a smile from me even when I was deep in grief for DH, and I will always love Victoria Wood for writing it. So anyway, the women are all planning their Christmas, and one of them says she's hoping for Christmas Day sex.

Dolly: Who has sex on Christmas morning??!
Twinkle: the Dalai Lama
Dolly: well, he must do his sprouts the night before.

Finola1step Sat 04-Jul-15 23:19:34

That's reminded of something my Dad found hilarious Jam. I have a vague memory of Mum and Dad watching Victoria Wood in tears of laughter when she first sang her "Lets Do It" song. Something about "bend me over the hostess trolley". My aunt had a hostess trolleygrin. Must search for the clip on YouTube.

GloGirl Sun 05-Jul-15 09:09:50

How are you today OP? I have recently enjoyed rewatching that Mitchell and Webb Look episodes on youtube smile

SometimesItRains Sun 05-Jul-15 10:00:37

Oh yes, definitely watch that Victoria Wood clip - it is brilliant. I hope you're feeling a bit better today OP.

JamHoneyMarmite Sun 05-Jul-15 12:36:52

Hope you're OK today? That ballad of Barry and Freda is amazing - must go and watch it again myself, thanks for the reminder!

redannie118 Sun 05-Jul-15 13:56:25

My fave joke...whats green and invisible?this cabbagegrin

Finola1step Sun 05-Jul-15 16:38:55

Thank you all. I'm feeling much brighter today. Have just managed two hours of much needed weeding in the garden.

Glogirl in a similar vein, I did rewatch all the episodes of The IT Crowd recently (in strict order in honour of Moss). Highly recommended.

I've had the Victoria Wood song on the brain today. DH has gone to sort out some more of his mum's things as the house sale is under way. He tends to bring back bits that he wants to keep. I'm sure there is a hostess trolley. Not sure what I'll say if it suddenly appears in our dining room grin.

And redannie ds will love your cabbage joke. Might nick that as my own.

GloGirl Sun 05-Jul-15 16:47:44

Not sure if it's your kind of humour but I also love videos of celebrities reading mean tweets. I think they're from the Jimmy Kimmel show?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now