Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How to be referred to an endocrinologist?

(7 Posts)
Oldisthenewblack Sat 04-Jul-15 16:50:47

I started another thread about my low ferritin levels and wasn't sure whether to ask this question there: decided to clutter the board with another thread instead ;o)

One of my many trains of thought regarding my health is that I may have issues with my adrenal glands. How do I go about looking into this - is it an endocrinologist the person to see? How do I persuade my GP to refer me to one?? I presume I'll have to have a convincing case, and all I can think of at the moment is "I'm bloody desperate and want to get to the bottom of why I feel like shit!"

All my blood tests so far are "normal", as far as the GP is concerned. Though my ferritin is low so as mentioned on the other thread, am going to work on bringing that up (increasing tablets, vitamin C, etc).

Any help gratefully received, as ever!

hellomynameis Sun 05-Jul-15 22:45:03

NHS referrals are based on clinical need. So it is up o your GP.

Otherwise pay privately.

Fourarmsv2 Mon 06-Jul-15 05:54:03

My GP referred me on request - also low ferritin (3) but my periods start, are incredibly heavy (now seeing a gynae for that), stop and then restart a day later which is a symptom on adrenal gland problems.

However, choose and book system said no appts avail so may be a while before I get seen.

Good luck!

Oldisthenewblack Mon 06-Jul-15 11:56:50

Ooh, that's interesting, Fourarms, about your periods stopping and starting again. Mine do that. After a couple of days it tails off, am clear for a day, then back it trundles....had that for ages. Had no idea it was a symptom of adrenal glad problem. Will keep that in mind and add it to my list for when I next see the GP!

Pleasemrstweedie Mon 06-Jul-15 13:11:05

Sadly, when it comes to adrenals, endocrinologists tend only to recognise the two ends of the spectrum, Addison's Disease and Cushing's Disease and not the grey area in between where adrenals can be compromised and patients can be symptomatic, but test results look 'normal'.

Incidentally, when a doctor says your results are 'normal', they often just mean that they have come back within the reference ranges, which can mean that they are actually a long way from optimal.

Welcome to the minefield.

Oldisthenewblack Tue 07-Jul-15 17:54:33

Thanks for the info. I'm seeing the GP on Friday so will see what can be achieved. I do worry that because the most potent topical steroids were used on me as a child (eczema) that they may have caused some damage. I have M.E. and often wonder if it's REALLY M.E. or something else that hasn't yet been diagnosed.

It is indeed a minefield.

Fourarmsv2 Tue 07-Jul-15 19:40:45

Thanks Mrs T - shall be sure to ask for a copy of results smile I've got a biomedical science background so should be able to interpret.

Oldis... It's horribly frustrating isn't it! Just when you think you're clear and hope this will be the month it doesn't come back!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now