Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Vit D deficiency

(11 Posts)
JoanOfRickets Fri 03-Jul-15 10:14:50

I've just discovered I have vit D levels of only 12 nmol. I'm been prescribed 400IU D3 twice per day and 20,000IU once per week for 3 months. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had levels that low and how long it took to bring them into normal ranges? I've only been taking them for a few days but my brain fog and fatigue has improved dramatically so I'm hoping that's a good sign.

BestIsWest Fri 03-Jul-15 13:26:19

Mine was 8. It took about 6 months to get it up into the 70s. Do you know why it is so low?

JoanOfRickets Fri 03-Jul-15 15:06:51

Probably because I don't go out in the sun much and cover up when I do. Thanks for replying, good to know it didn't take long for it to go back up. Do you still take vit D?

Clarella Fri 03-Jul-15 20:44:19

I have looked into vit d, Dr holick in the us has done much of the vit d research. (His lectures online are fascinating)

He does advocate ongoing maintainance doses a bit higher - 4-5000. (5000 for nursing mums gets vit d into milk)

From what I've read on here a lot of people are kept on a maintenance dose. The highest tablet in boots was 1000 iirc, I have a 3000 spray from h and b.

Sun only gives vit d here April to Oct. 11-3, longer during midsummer. A short full body blast gets more than arms and face, and way more than tablets.

His book has an excellent table showing times etc around world and how long for skin types. (Obviously baring in mind skin cancer etc)

JoanOfRickets Fri 03-Jul-15 22:29:51

I'll look Dr Holick up, thank you. I don't sunbathe so will be looking to use supplements I think.

JoanOfRickets Fri 03-Jul-15 22:31:10

Are some brands of vit D better than others does anyone know?

Ediemccreedy Fri 03-Jul-15 22:43:57

D3 (cholecalciferol)is more effective than d2 (ergo calciferol). Surely the 20000 units is prescribed?

JoanOfRickets Sat 04-Jul-15 09:22:07

Yes, its prescribed, I was just thinking about after as not sure if the GP would prescribe long term.

Pleasemrstweedie Sat 04-Jul-15 09:51:04

GP should prescribe in accordance with your local protocol. Have a Google and see if you can find it.

sanfairyanne Sat 04-Jul-15 10:55:03

it didnt take all that long but keeping levels up is another matter. you can buy 5000 or 10000 online but get a decent brand. i use the 3000 spray at holland n barrett at the moment

sunbathe

10 minutes on white skin at lunchtime

Clarella Sat 04-Jul-15 14:42:43

The d3 made by your skin lasts longer in the body (apparently according to Dr H) and much more. Literally 10-15 mins as much skin as possible before it burns.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now