Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hospital no communication, don't know what to do next.

(4 Posts)
PrawnPringle Thu 02-Jul-15 16:45:25

My husband was admitted to a surgical ward due to pancreatitis caused by gallstones on 22/6, on the 24/6 and 25/6 he was on the emergency list for surgery and both days he dropped off the bottom of the list. He was discharged on the 25th and told by a surgeon he would be called back in for scheduled surgery within two weeks.
He can't speak to his consultant, answerphone message saying his secretary is on holiday, the general surgery waiting list administrator has said he'd try and find out what was happening and now his phone has been going to answerphone for the last two days.
He phoned Pals, yep, answerphone, so he emailed them. He did actually get to speak to a human at pals who said she would ring him early afternoon.
This is so frustrating, all the guidelines say this op needs to be done within 2 weeks but nobody will talk to him.

Turtlefeet Thu 02-Jul-15 16:50:51

Have you tried asking your GP for some help in chasing this up?

I think thats what I would do next.

Also,a letter or email to PALS.

PrawnPringle Thu 02-Jul-15 17:16:34

He's just spoken to a human at Pals. She has spoken to the ward sister, who confirmed that he is on the list for emergency surgery, but nothing has been done about it. pals lady promises she will ring tomorrow afternoon. So we will see.

I have made an appointment for the GP on Monday, thank you for that suggestion.

Musicaltheatremum Thu 02-Jul-15 17:31:26

Highly unlikely GP will get any further than you have as we don't have any better access. It's rubbish. Loads of my time taken up chasing hospital stuff because once you're out it isn't their problem any more. Not saying this happens in all departments but it is not infrequent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now