Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How much will having a couple of teeth out hurt? And for how long?

(13 Posts)
toofytrub Mon 29-Jun-15 12:37:23

I need to have a couple of teeth out and have booked to have them done with an oral surgeon that visits my dentist.

I had to book a long time in advance and whilst I checked that I didn't have anything on that day, in the interim it's turning into a ridiculously busy week.

I had one tooth out previously and that hurt big time - different dentist, I had an abscess, and one of the teeth I'm having out is because he cracked it when taking the first one out. sadangry

However it was a while ago and I can't remember how long the hurt lasted or how out of it I was, plus there were the complications of the abscess.

Am I mad to consider having these teeth out now when I can't stop and take mega pain killers and go to sleep if there's an issue? Or should I just wait until October (when the next available slot for the oral surgeon is available and that I'm not on holiday).

As it is I'm not able to have a sedative as I haven't got anyone that could go with me so will have to have them with local anesthetic (again, not had sedative before but dentist had assumed that I would as it seems to be the more painless option).

And they're on different sides of my mouth so how long will they take to heal - am I going to be eating soup for ages as I can't chew on either side of my mouth either?

I did try talking to my dentist but they wanted me to get it done so said to keep the appointment and they'd ring back to confirm closer to the time. Now it's getting closer so I need to make a decision.

I know I need to get them done but I'm looking at my to do list (and knowing I have to be out and about and organising school fete at the end of the week) and thinking I'm mad to do it now. But then I'm mad to wait until October too. Arggh.

Anybody got any more recent concrete experience that could help me make up my mind?

Thanks!

(Regular poster but name changed)

toofytrub Mon 29-Jun-15 13:26:43

anyone?

VeryPunny Mon 29-Jun-15 13:32:42

I had an upper wisdom tooth out about 6 weeks ago. No drama, was certainly eating normally within a fortnight. Tooth out lunchtime, by dinner time I was able to eat carefully on one side. Pain was easily dealt with by paracetamol/ibuprofen.

toofytrub Mon 29-Jun-15 13:48:48

Thanks Very that's good to know. Think it's the combined worries about a busy week and the nightmare I had with the previous dentist that's making me more worried than I probably need to be (he was one of those dentists that said put your hand up if you need me to stop - I did, he didn't and he promptly cracked my other tooth which is now why I need to go through this again and making me grumpy!).

how long did you take the painkillers for if you don't mind me asking - just for the day or did you need to do it for days or a week or two?

EmNetta Mon 29-Jun-15 13:51:21

Sorry I can't help with tooth info, but I used to be stuck without anyone to accompany me during working hours etc. until I discovered Dial-A-Ride (may be something different in other areas) with volunteer drivers, charging petrol/admin costs only plus £5 annual membership. They accompany you to hospital/dentist and then home, so better than any taxi service as well as costing less, and easier than asking a friend.
Good luck with organising dentistry.

VeryPunny Mon 29-Jun-15 15:54:52

Only took painkillers for a couple of days.

crossroads15 Mon 29-Jun-15 16:06:09

Do you want me to be honest? I had one out last month...

toofytrub Mon 29-Jun-15 16:36:32

crossroads yes. honesty is good. even if I do have to run away and hide.

And now I seem to have hayfever and a runny nose which is going to make it even worse sad [moaning minny smiley]

crossroads15 Tue 30-Jun-15 07:26:03

I had a tooth out last month after a root canal failed. I too was ridiculously busy at the the time. I had it done with our regular dentist. It took him 45 minutes to get it out and he was shaking like a leaf afterwards. I got dry socket. I was in bloody awful pain for 9 days. On high dose metronizadole (spelling?) which made me puke and painkillers which made me high. I would never, ever, ever had entertained having it done at that time if I'd had any idea how awful the recovery would be confused. Unless you're in agony now, I'd wait until you have a clear-ish couple of weeks in case you end up like me. Good luck regardless. I will be thinking and (wincing) of you. Xx

BikeRunSki Tue 30-Jun-15 07:30:11

I had a molar out last month. Took about 15 mins. It was sore for the rest of the day, but I was able to eat that evening (had it done first thing). But sore for a couple more days, but new "normal" resumed in a couple of days.

Wherediditallgoright Tue 30-Jun-15 08:52:05

I had a tooth out and it was easier than I thought as in it only took minutes and wasn't painful. BUT a few weeks later I developed an infection and I felt quite ill. After that some shards of the tooth gradually made their way out which is apparently quite common and no problems since.

gingeroots Tue 30-Jun-15 09:22:55

It's hard to say isn't it ,but I think you'll be fine .

My own experience is that tooth extraction is now very pain free during and after .

I had two teeth extracted a couple of years ago .Done in a rush so as not to delay chemo and without sedation .
I was panicky because I'd had a v bad experience with endoscopy ( which diagnosed the cancer ) and was prone to gagging because tumour in throat but because fitted in at last minute sedation not an option .

Luckily there was a chap ( forget what he was doing there ) as well as dentist and I asked to hold his hand which really helped my nerves .I didn't need it for pain as there was none .

And tho the gap felt huge afterwards I had zero problems ,maybe took paracetomal that night .

Think I took advice and slept propped up and generally kept head still so it could all clot and heal .

I'll hold your hand virtually if you tell me time of procedure .

flowers

toofytrub Tue 30-Jun-15 11:56:16

Argh. Now I'm even more confused! There's good experiences and then there's bad experiences and things like dry socket that I'd forgotten all about too.

If it wasn't for it being a stupidly busy week, I would just do it and to hell with it, not least because I have to wait so long for the next appointment but at the same time it's a crazy week so don't want to be in a position of letting lots of people down.

Thanks for all your experiences and the virtual handholding - it is much appreciated!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now