Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

trying to get rid of molluscum

(44 Posts)
iteminbaggingarea Mon 29-Jun-15 09:58:35

I wondered if anyone had had good results ideally with home remedies rather than the over the counter stuff. I heard that apple cider vinegar put on overnight works well but I'm a bit concerned about burning her skin...she's 6 and wants it gone!

iteminbaggingarea Mon 29-Jun-15 13:40:25

bump

iteminbaggingarea Mon 29-Jun-15 20:07:54

and...bump

jinkers Mon 29-Jun-15 20:43:59

Both my children had this, several years apart- I tried an over the counter remedy (can't remember the name now- it was about 10 years ago) but it had no effect. What did work for both of them was a seaside holiday - they both spent loads of time in the sea, and their skin cleared completely within a couple of weeks. It might not be practical for you though!

TheScottishPlay Mon 29-Jun-15 21:30:03

Molludab over the counter was the only thing which worked on DS. It took about 8 weeks for it to work (February and March this year). The inflammation marks are all but gone now. He had it all over his legs and lower torso.

iteminbaggingarea Mon 29-Jun-15 21:33:35

Ah the sea! Thank you, I had read about dead sea salts in the bath helping so that makes sense.
I have tried an application of apple cider vinegar under a plaster tonight, poor thing. And some Thuja tablets. Hmmm, we shall see what happened under the plaster in the morning - I am ridiculously optimistic for some reason.

LibrariesGaveUsPower Mon 29-Jun-15 21:33:49

Nothing worked on DD2. I have heard that piercing them can work (triggers the immune system to fight it off) but wasn't about to try that! Also had neat tea tree oil recommended - but again worried about burning skin.

They went eventually.

iteminbaggingarea Mon 29-Jun-15 21:35:10

I have heard mixed reports about Molludab - good to hear it worked for you.

iteminbaggingarea Mon 29-Jun-15 21:36:38

Yes Libraries, I can't quite bring myself to pierce or pluck them...gross.

Foxyboombastic Mon 29-Jun-15 21:36:54

DS had this for ages hmm Piercing them very slightly one at a time (one a night) and applying neat tea tree oil and they were gone within a fortnight. He's had a couple since then and the same treatment has seen them off

iteminbaggingarea Mon 29-Jun-15 21:43:30

Piercing from the top? I so don't fancy doing that...but desperate measures.

plannedshock Mon 29-Jun-15 21:47:42

My dd 2yrs is absolutely covered �� I feel so bad for her she now says no mummy don't touch, and EVERYONE asks about them especially now she's wearing little vests and shorts. The Dr says they just go eventually but can take years.

Fatmanbuttsam Mon 29-Jun-15 21:50:10

Thuja (no idea on spelling) is what cleared them in my children....even worked on my youngest with his eczema and steroid creams

iteminbaggingarea Mon 29-Jun-15 21:52:54

I'll let you know how i get on with the ACV. I know they do go away at some point, like verrucas and warts but I just want to try to halt it before it spreads. I know someone who used homeopathy which worked which is why I am trying Thuja tablets too.

aprilshowersbringmayflowers Mon 29-Jun-15 21:54:41

DD had this last year - lots of them. Dr said just put up with it, but I really didn't want other children to get them. Tried Molludab - which is HORRIBLE. Far worse than bursting them. Reduced her to tears every time. Also some homeopathic thing - zymaderm? Don't think either made any difference. I then set about bursting them all: pin, squeeze, surgical spirit. At 5, she put up with that pretty well, and I think it was a combination of that, and a seaside holiday, just as jinkers says, that got rid of them. All at once, they weren't there any more.

DS (2) then did get them. Wouldn't dream of trying Molludab on him - he'd get it all over his hands, it'd be impossible. I did squeeze one, finally, yesterday (he's had them for a year now...) but I don't think I'll be able to do another for a while. And unfortunately not much sea planned this summer.

DS (8) now has a very few, but we just pop them when we see them. Really, I think that if your child will put up with it, then it's the best option.

Stillwishihadabs Mon 29-Jun-15 21:54:45

We used Epsom salts in the bath for Dd, took about 3 weeks for them to go. She stayed in for 12 minutes then rubbed them quite vigorously with a towel when she got out to get rid of "the core". 3 months later and no sign of them.

iteminbaggingarea Mon 29-Jun-15 21:54:52

Trouble with Thuja is that it says to take 2 tablets 4 times a day which isn't going to happen as she is at school.

Moonatic Mon 29-Jun-15 21:55:04

I know that supposedly nothing works to clear Molloscum, but I used Epsom salts in dd's bath and they cleared up really quickly. They looked worse for a day or so after the first bath, but then faded away within a fortnight. I would say there was a noticable improvement after about 3 days. Available from Boots (but you might have to ask). Supposed to be good for the skin anyway, so worth a try I would say.

Stillwishihadabs Mon 29-Jun-15 21:56:06

Dd is 8 btw and was v self conscious.

Moonatic Mon 29-Jun-15 21:56:12

Cross post with stillwiahihadabs. Epsom salts.

Stillwishihadabs Mon 29-Jun-15 21:57:17

We got them from the big asda £1:30 a pot we used about 1/3 in the bath.

iteminbaggingarea Mon 29-Jun-15 21:59:30

I don't know that hers look very 'squeezable' to be honest, it's been a good 6 months since I first noticed it. Started off as one which I just thought was a wart, then this last week it started itching so I went to the doctor. Now there are a couple more on her tummy. Ugh, it's making me gag thinking about stabbing it. I doubt that she would let me.

wankerchief Mon 29-Jun-15 21:59:58

I posted about my sons on the 7th of june in children's health, they are completely gone now.

I cleared up my sons by grabbing at the bottom with tweezers pulling the white core out and then dousing in tcp. The photos are two weeks apart and now theres nothing, no scars or marks.

iteminbaggingarea Mon 29-Jun-15 22:01:01

We've got some salts I will try that tomorrow thanks

wankerchief Mon 29-Jun-15 22:01:43

Oops pics didnt upload

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now