Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I've self diagnosed....

(19 Posts)
BrieAndChilli Sun 28-Jun-15 17:50:43

But want to see if other people think the same before I go to GP
My symptoms are
Absolutely exhausted, feel like I've had no sleep when I wake up be it 6,8,10 or 12 hours sleep I've just had. Falling asleep in the afternoon

Lethargic, slow and clumsy.
Brain is on a go slow, forgetful, unable to focus on one thing, feel like I'm walking through treacle

Ridges on nails
Dry skin,
Hair falls out by the handful

Cold even when it's sunny outside
Pins and needles in hands and arms

Wake up in night with panic attacks an have to go in garden to calm down. Very loud snoring,

Headaches a lot
Constipation

So Dr Mumsnet what's your diagnosis??

caroldecker Sun 28-Jun-15 18:10:12

Lack of iron and B12

zen1 Sun 28-Jun-15 18:11:29

Under active thyroid

JellyMould Sun 28-Jun-15 18:16:00

Thyroid issues

zen1 Sun 28-Jun-15 18:16:37

Mind you, I have hypothyroidism, iron deficiency anaemia and b12 deficiency and all the symptoms cross over. Also, they are often co-morbid conditions. You could also throw vit d deficiency in there for some of the symptoms. However, it was the mention of slowness and constipation that made me think thyroid first.

duende Sun 28-Jun-15 18:16:50

Underactive thyroid would be my guess.

Le1890 Sun 28-Jun-15 18:43:25

Low b12 and/or possibly low ferritin. You need to ask for a b12 and ferritin blood test as it's not routinely tested.x

sanfairyanne Sun 28-Jun-15 19:49:54

thyroid with linked low iron, vit d and possibly also b12

Pleasemrstweedie Sun 28-Jun-15 19:53:02

Underactive thyroid with vitamin B12 and D, folate and ferritin deficiencies. Been there, done that, got the T shirt.

Spellcheck Sun 28-Jun-15 19:55:09

Under active thyroid and low B12. Def go and get blood tests. Don't let GP and their stupid budgets fob you off. (Bitter? Me?!)

Spellcheck Sun 28-Jun-15 19:57:31

What did you diagnose yourself as, out of interest?!

cuntycowfacemonkey Sun 28-Jun-15 19:59:23

Low iron.

answersonapostcardplease Sun 28-Jun-15 20:01:58

. But

Cherry321 Sun 28-Jun-15 20:24:02

Sounds like underarctive thyroid to me.

BrieAndChilli Sun 28-Jun-15 20:49:03

I have had bouts of anaemia for years on and off so assumed I just needed some more iron but noticed by nails looked like corrugated iron as googled (as you do) and it came up on a list of symptoms for under active thyroid. If you had 24 or more on the list you were very likely to have an underachiever thyroid and I ticked 40!!

Changeasgoodas Sun 28-Jun-15 22:24:16

I'd co-diagnose sleep apnea. The panic attacks may be your fear at having woken up choking. Get on a wait list for a sleep study, it will take a long time to get one

Meanwhile, don't self diagnose and supplement nutrients without getting tested, do ask the GP for blood tests

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 29-Jun-15 07:12:44

Brie

I would have thought an underactive thyroid gland is the root cause of these symptoms.

GP needs to test more than TSH however, that alone is not enough.

Thyroid UKs website is good to look at re general info as well:-
www.thyroiduk.org.uk/tuk/index.html

BrieAndChilli Mon 29-Jun-15 08:54:06

I won't take anything without seeing GP first. I just didn't want to go to doctor and waste their time

hellomynameis Mon 29-Jun-15 22:54:01

See your GP.

The differential ranges from shit life syndrome to HIV to depression to thyroid problems.....

See a professional

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now