Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Docs - Why wasn't this pointed out to me?

(7 Posts)
MoreSnowPlease Sat 27-Jun-15 21:22:10

I have been struggling MASSIVELY for the last 3 years since my ds1 was born with symptoms related to thyroid disease and iron deficiency. I had a severely overactive thyroid then with treatment turned into a severely underactive one!

Thyroid apparently levelled itself out, but my symptoms are very severe still although now all relating to iron deficiency. I have seen countless GPS about it and an endocrinologist and rheumatologist (because of positive ANA) had loads of blood tests. All kept saying that my iron was normal.

I just decided to ask for print out of results and find out that with a range of 15-200 my ferritin result is 16. Which is clearly low!!!I'm so angry, I have multiple severe symptoms and this could easily be the problem.

Why on earth has everyone just skipped over something simple and sent me round the block?!!

WhenMarnieWasThere Sat 27-Jun-15 21:59:54

It's frustrating!

Completely different situation for me, but I had problems with my hip that even made me fall in public. I had blood tests and xrays.

They lost my xray, then told me over the phone that it was all clear. Then called me in to the GPs to say it was clear for my hip but I had something else (very minor) on my spine.

My problems continued, I was sent for 2 different lots of physio which made things worse.

Only when they had all scratched their heads and had no idea what was going on was I referred to an orthopaedic surgeon. He pointed at my then three year old xray and showed the problem that even I could see when I knew what I was looking for.

I've had surgery to fix it. I have asked at my GP's about who should have spotted it on the xray originally and I just got a very weak apology.

Have you been prescribed iron to help now?

MountainDweller Sun 28-Jun-15 00:10:03

I had a similar problem with iron results. Doc called me and said everything was fine. I got a copy of results and my ferritin was 30 (which is borderline where I am) and my hemoglobin was low too. In my experience most Drs just skim the results and check if they are in range. Never mind if they are only in range by one point! Drives me crazy. I later had another set of tests and had dr appt for results. She said everything was fine apart from magnesium. I asked her what my vitamin D levels were. She said she wasn't sure (she had closed the file) but they were fine. When I got my copy of the results, the test hadn't even been done (she definitely asked for it). Aargh! Anyway sorry for hijack, but you are not alone and you should have been told. Hope you are being treated now. I had an iron transfusion in the end.

Le1890 Sun 28-Jun-15 02:08:46

I feel for you. I was the same for years too. Kept being told everything normal. Kept telling me i was not anemic as haemaglobin was fine. Then I asked for ferritin test and low and behold I was deficient in ferritin, B12 and folic acid! Well the b12 was just in range so I had to fight to get medication. I asked them if they had ever run these tests on me before and when they checked back the computer they said they had done them in 2011 but the were normal. I asked for the actual numbers and I was literally one point in the 'normal' range but suffering terribly but no one told me.

The latest one is my gp said next time she is going to test my intrinsic factor to see if my stomach is unable to absorb the vitamins normally. It's only taken 4 times for me have to be out back on supplements and 4 years on and off for her to decide to do this next test!

You are doing the right thing. Always ask for your numbers, what's normal for one person is no good for another. They need to look at the results and the symptoms.x

BoxOfKittens Sun 28-Jun-15 16:08:37

I'm currently experiencing similar with iron and B12 and it is very frustrating . Approach your gp with print out to hand and discuss your options and ask why it was overlooked. You can make a complaint if you feel like doing so as well.

PoshPenny Sun 28-Jun-15 21:16:58

Always ask for your results in future, and check them yourself. It seems this happens so often it's shocking. I had ferritin one point in range at the very bottom and felt awful, my then GP was adamant that it was down to my heavy periods (hypothyroid anyone, but my results were "normal" for that). I walked out in disgust and changed GP.

Pleasemrstweedie Mon 29-Jun-15 11:12:06

I had a conversation with an endocrinology registrar not that long ago about my test results. In an effort to get clarity about his statement that all my results were ‘normal’, I used the phrase ‘in your clinical judgement’. He was very quick to tell me that no clinical judgement was required in the interpretation of test results. He patiently explained to me that the lab provided him with a reference range and a result (so far so good) and that if the result fell within the reference range then there was not an issue.

Obviously I queried this, but he would not be moved.

This is how it happens and it causes many thousands of people to remain ill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now