Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Itchy rash

(9 Posts)
SpongeBobJudgeyPants Sat 27-Jun-15 16:31:59

I have this horrible itchy rash. Doctor doesn't think it's prickly heat, but doesn't know what it is. Having googled, looks similar to the images for hives. Have had steroid cream, which didn't help much and I don't really want to use it all over my body unless absolutely necessary. Also have now got Montelukast tablets. Is it possible in anyone's experience that it, or some of it is menopause related? I have tried the cool showers, and calomine lotion, but could stratch myself to bits (TMI) Also, round my hip area, the skin is kind of burning, with the odd sharp pain. Some suggestions have been that its an allergy (have since changed to non-bio washing detergent and a very neutral shower gel) . Any advice please? TIA

EmNetta Sun 28-Jun-15 00:28:00

I had undiagnosed itch for years, pubic area, and you have my sympathy. It was only during cancer op that surgeon saw old damage due to an accident with a falling cooker, and removed affected organs, which ended the itching.
If there's any chance you have internal damage, please ensure people know about it, even if it doesn't show on scans.
Hope this is soon sorted for you, meanwhile I can only suggest calamine cream might help.

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Sun 28-Jun-15 12:35:56

Thanks Em. The pills seem to be helping slightly. No internal damage that I know about. I've bought the calamine!

tobysmum77 Sun 28-Jun-15 13:41:39

Shingles?

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Sun 28-Jun-15 16:02:28

I have speculated about that Tobys via Dr Google. Some sites suggest it will be down one side only, others have disputed. I have had it before, could I get it again? I don't remember this continuous need to scratch tho, but my memory isn't what it was. grin

tobysmum77 Sun 28-Jun-15 16:37:51

It's the burning skin and the itching. I had it on my head, it was torture I thought I had nits to start with blush . You can definitely get it more than once, a quick google says that it can spread to both sides as I thought it was only one confused .

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Sun 28-Jun-15 16:39:18

Ah, ok, thanks tobys.

Pippidoeswhatshewants Sun 28-Jun-15 16:44:41

Hives come and go - does the rash ever go, or is it constant?

Make sure shingles are ruled out. Next down the line will be to rule out scabies. If it persists, push to see a dermatologist (or pay to see one privately, to get to a quicker diagnosis).

My sympathy, itchiness can drive you nuts!!

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Sun 28-Jun-15 18:30:22

Have had it for about 5 weeks Pippi. Yes, dermatologist might be the way to go. Hoping it will be gone before it gets to that. Apparently, if it is an allergy, it is likely to be gone by about the six week mark, from what I have read. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now