Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Taken Imodium, shouldn't have, what to do.

(19 Posts)
Toastandstrawberryjam Sat 27-Jun-15 10:27:18

I have spent the last 12 hours having the worst diarrhoea I have ever had. I even went whilst in bed asleep, am mortified at that. I have been every 20-30 minutes since 10 last night and it's still profuse.

I took two Imodium half hour ago in absolute desperation but have now been googling and it looks likely that I have campobylacter and you shouldn't take Imodium for that as its bacterial sad

Now what should I do?

LIZS Sat 27-Jun-15 10:46:11

If it is then the symptoms will return when it wears off.

Meepandyoup Sat 27-Jun-15 10:48:30

Have a drink and try and get some sleep if it's working.

Toastandstrawberryjam Sat 27-Jun-15 11:07:43

It hasn't worked. Every 15 mins now.

thatsshallot Sat 27-Jun-15 11:12:42

Sympathies, am waiting to be seen in hospital for similar. They only say not to take as can either mask symptoms or keep inside that which should come out.

Sounds like it's doing neither for you so I wouldn't wirry (about the pills, would about the rest). Have you tried diarolyte? Can make own if you google who rehydration salts

Good luck

CamelHump Sat 27-Jun-15 11:17:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Toastandstrawberryjam Sat 27-Jun-15 11:27:23

Am trying to drink water but it's coming out at a far greater rate than it's going in!!
Had two water crackers.
Shattered but too scared to sleep sad

BuggersMuddle Sat 27-Jun-15 11:35:23

If you're still going, don't worry about the Imodium. Keep hydrated and maybe get some Dioralyte or similar.

CamelHump Sat 27-Jun-15 11:37:12

Toastandstrawberryjam Sat 27-Jun-15 11:43:02

Because three times last night I was asleep when it happened. Even with a towel I ended up having to scrub the mattress in the middle of the night sad
I tried wearing a sanitary towel but it just seeped out the side. Was disgusting, I was very glad I no longer share a bed with anyone.

CamelHump Sat 27-Jun-15 11:51:53

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Sat 27-Jun-15 11:54:35

Perhaps call your out of hours service for some advice?

Toastandstrawberryjam Sat 27-Jun-15 11:56:07

My worry is they will tell me to go there! No way I can take kids with me and drive like this.

It must stop eventually? Surely?!!

CamelHump Sat 27-Jun-15 12:02:43

Toastandstrawberryjam Sat 27-Jun-15 12:07:50

I couldn't go in a cab, it's still not stopping.

Will try and rest and hope it stops soon. Not sure how there's anything left!!

stargirl04 Mon 29-Jun-15 12:19:15

Hi Toast, really hope you are okay. Hope you are getting sorted out. Please let us know. Thinking of you. flowers

amarmai Wed 01-Jul-15 19:02:56

my daughter had this and ended up getting IV in emergency. She wore adult diapers to save the bed. Was also given several prescriptions that interacted and caused severe pain. She gradually recovered after 2 weeks and a liquid diet. Please do not allow yourself to become dehydrated.

Andante57 Wed 01-Jul-15 19:08:09

Poor you. I had similar after an operation on my stomach, and it is so embarrassing. If you still have diarrhea (sp) tomorrow, get someone to get you some incontinence pants from the chemist - I know it's embarrassing asking someone to do that, but at least you will be able to relax.

gobbin Thu 02-Jul-15 00:30:11

Asda do their own incontinence mats for the bed if someone can get them for you.

Basic rehydration solution is 6 level teaspoons sugar and half teaspoon salt to a litre of water. Add a dash of squash to make up the litre to make it more palatable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now