Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

If you have arthritis in your spine

(9 Posts)
ChuffinAda Fri 26-Jun-15 21:54:34

How do you keep on top of the pain? Obviously joint replacements aren't an option to us and as I'm only just into my 30s the idea of this degenerating is quite scary as the pain is pretty high already

Mines in the cervical spine if that helps

43percentburnt Fri 26-Jun-15 21:58:01

May I ask what type of arthritis?

ChuffinAda Fri 26-Jun-15 22:00:00

Osteoarthritis due to having a mild scoliosis of the spine several of the joints are all but shot.

Debs75 Fri 26-Jun-15 22:02:24

my dd (19) has arthritis of the spine. she has been offered an injection into her nerves to dull the pain, unfortunately she panicked and darent go through with it. she is currently on painkillers which she says don't work. she struggles with walking and sitting.
we are again going back and forwards to drs as she can't live the rest of her life like this

karbonfootprint Fri 26-Jun-15 22:05:50

warm hotwater bottle every morning.

Back exercise every day, planking and similar.

Never carry heavy bags, never stand still, either sit or walk,

lots of physical activity (I run marathons)

That is what works best for me, but everyone is different.

MrsEvadneCake Fri 26-Jun-15 22:10:56

DH has/has had

Injections into facet joints
Nerve rhysotomy(?) which is a nerve burn.
Intensive physio to build core strength
Osteopathy.
Pain killers like naproxen

He has had it since start of his 30s. He sees the pain management team.

MrSlant Fri 26-Jun-15 22:11:37

I'm 41 and my spine has been degenerating badly since I was in my teens. I've been through a million consultants and every treatment going and at the end of the road my pain consultant told me to give yoga a try (everything else being tried and discarded over the years) to say I was skeptical is a bit of an understatement. Then I went on a yoga course for people with disabilities/anxieties and now I walk tall, have less pain and do a lot more. Plus I can do shoulder stands, seriously, arthritis has ruled my life since I was in my early 20's and the pain will never go away completely but I am a different person.

So, find a good pain clinic, don't go up the medicines too quickly, there is scientific evidence that piling up the doses of opiates/opioids is not constructive at all and find an excellent yoga teacher to help you maintain flexibility whilst using the muscles to create a stable, bendy space to hold you up. I am evangelical I know but I've had 20 years of pain and no answers and it's been amazing. Even my kyphosis is less pronounced (I have scoliosis too). The earlier you start the better it will be I imagine.

ChuffinAda Fri 26-Jun-15 22:15:38

Oh you are a kind wonderful lot.

Thank you for your input. I'm sorry to see you know where I'm coming though

Lots for me to try and more importantly self help things too

Wolfiefan Fri 26-Jun-15 22:22:47

Early 40s. Slipped discs and some arthritis. Had injections. That stopped the awful nerve type pain.
Agree with avoid sitting. Walk lots. Sway like a loon when you have to stand still.
Work on core muscles to support back and ensure ongoing mobility.
I too have scoliosis.
A great physio will help. (Mine found little spasms that caused awful pain and helped me loads. (Psoas?)
I'm off all meds at the moment. Hopeful for the future.
Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now