Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mini stroke- can anyone answer some questions please?

(7 Posts)
Luckystar1 Fri 26-Jun-15 10:23:18

My Df lost the hearing in one ear and his foot went numb for a short a few weeks ago. All has apparently now returned to normal. The doctor (GP) told her he was very sure he'd suffered a mini stroke based on his blood pressure when he saw him (I think it was the next day).

He has now had some blood tests (I'm not sure what specifically) all of which have come back normal. Would these show up anything if it was a mini stroke?

Thank you

hellomynameis Fri 26-Jun-15 11:13:28

Blood tests are to look for risk factors eg cholesterol glucose etc for stroke as well as potentially rarer causes in selective patients -eg. Those who are young , with recurrent strokes etc.

Assume they have been referred to a TIA clinic

Luckystar1 Fri 26-Jun-15 15:34:06

Thank you. I'm not entirely sure what's happening to be honest, most of this has been drip fed to me, I'm just trying to piece it together!

So if the tests come back clear it doesn't rule out a mini stroke?

Musicaltheatremum Fri 26-Jun-15 16:02:06

No, the tests are just looking for risk factors, high cholesterol, high BP diabetes. He should be referred to a stroke\ TIA clinic as he should have an echocardiogram and a Doppler (ultrasound) of his carotid arteries. Of course that all depends on his general state of health.

Luckystar1 Fri 26-Jun-15 17:57:34

Ok thank you. That is helpful. Hopefully a referral has been made, I'm sure it has!

pinkfrocks Sat 27-Jun-15 20:16:48

They use CT scans to look for signs of mini or full strokes. They can't tell otherwise though scan can show plaque in the arteries of the neck. He ought to have an urgent referral because treatment- even if just aspirin- may help prevent another stroke.

Luckystar1 Sun 28-Jun-15 12:51:00

Thank you Pink. I will follow up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now