Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

When to go to go re diarrhoea

(11 Posts)
Ipushedmygrannyaffabus Thu 25-Jun-15 22:28:17

Not the nicest topic, so apologies!! I,ve had diarrhoea for 9 days now, every time after I eat or drink, along with horrendous stomach cramps, which have sometimes brought me out in a cold sweat.

I would never go to the go just for a dose of the runs but this doesn't show any signs of stopping, the pain is awful and I'm worried I'm not absorbing all the meds I take. Felt sick on and off but not actually been sick. I'm having a medical procedure on Tuesday and really need it to have stopped by then!

Would I be ok to go to the go about it now or is there anything I should try first??

bostonbaby Thu 25-Jun-15 23:02:44

Take some anti diarrhoea tablets

Ipushedmygrannyaffabus Thu 25-Jun-15 23:19:03

Should have added - I have taken Imodium twice which stopped the diarrhoea for the day but not the cramps and the feeling of still urgently needing to go, which was almost worse. I'm happy to take meds but think if there's an infection sickness/diarrhoea is the body's way of trying to get rid of it, iyswim?

StrawberryMojito Thu 25-Jun-15 23:22:36

Can you call your GP and ask for a telephone appointment in the first instance?

Ipushedmygrannyaffabus Fri 26-Jun-15 00:39:01

Oooo good idea. I,ve just changed practices but I,ll see if they will do this. I'd just hate to take up an emergency appointment for a bad stomach!

Twodogsandahooch Fri 26-Jun-15 08:05:31

Now. You need to give a stool specimen

Imnotaslimjim Fri 26-Jun-15 22:17:18

9 days is far too long for it still to be as active as it is. I'd expect it to be calming down by now. you definitely need to at least speak to the dr, but would you consider seeing if you can get an appointment at a walk-in GP clinic over the weekend? You would stand a chance of it being sorted by Tuesday then

tb Mon 29-Jun-15 18:51:06

I used to have attacks of diarrhoea without warning, and after a coloscopy found out that it was probably due to the presence of an intestinal polyp. Once the polyp was gone, it stopped.

DD had the same problem last year, at just 17.

Ipushedmygrannyaffabus Mon 29-Jun-15 21:16:22

Thanks - I made a gp appointment and then predictably it stopped for a day! Started again today (tho without the cramping pain) so think I'm going to keep the appointment.

mousmous Mon 29-Jun-15 21:19:58

you need to see a gp.

amarmai Wed 01-Jul-15 19:07:54

maybe campobylacter? Just read the 'taken immodium thread' -sounds similar.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now