Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Recovery from general anaesthetic: how long?

(11 Posts)
Mappingthemind Thu 25-Jun-15 12:06:56

I had a general 48 hours ago and still feel really groggy and lethergic and dizzy. How long does it normally take to feel normal?

PoshPenny Thu 25-Jun-15 12:36:23

It took me a week after I had one last year

Metalhead Thu 25-Jun-15 19:53:51

Depends how long you were under for I think. I've had GAs for half an hour and felt fine the next day, whereas it took probably 2-3 days to recover from a 3 hour one.

Mappingthemind Thu 25-Jun-15 20:48:30

Thanks. I was only under an hour but I feel so foggy headed and tired. I've ditched the pain killers but still feel awful.

WhenMarnieWasThere Sun 28-Jun-15 00:15:53

I had a three anda half hour procedure 2 weeks ago. I was sick and dizzy for the whole of the same day, then tired and had little energy for another day.

ConfusedInBath Sun 28-Jun-15 15:04:15

Had GA for the first time in May.. it honestly took me about 2 weeks to stop feeling so dizzy and sick.

Allalonenow Sun 28-Jun-15 15:09:38

Drink plenty of fluids Mapping and rest as much as you can.

Floralnomad Sun 28-Jun-15 15:13:40

It really depends on what they gave you , I had a GA (2 hrs) last year and it took about 5 days to recover from the anaesthetic whereas I had one 7 weeks ago (1.5 hrs) that I was fine with the next day . When I went for the latter one I told the anaesthetist about the one last year and she omitted one of the drugs that I had been given then so it was probably that that made the difference .

BoxOfKittens Sun 28-Jun-15 15:59:56

It depends on a lot of things, including the individual. I personally recover very well, even after a few major surgeries when I was out for 9 hours I was over the GA within 24 hours. Some people feel very sick and generally under the weather for a few days or longer. If you feel anxious about it could you call 111? Or speak to your gp tomorrow? They can reassure you as having a GA can be quite a scary experience!

RepeatAdNauseum Sun 28-Jun-15 16:04:35

It's an individual thing - I bounce back from it with alarming speed, I'm usually walking around and hungry after an hour. Some people can take several weeks.

Try drinking lots, and rest. Those are the two things that will help you the most. Food is good, too.

Mappingthemind Sun 28-Jun-15 17:01:27

Thanks all. It's now five days and I feel much less whoozy and less headaches but I'm still slightly dIzzy and I keep feeling like I might fall over when standing up. I'm also ridiculously thirsty. on the bright side I've lost 4lbs due to loss of appetite. I might try and speak to the GP tomorrow. No idea what drugs were used but it was abdominal surgery so maybe that's also making me feel bad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now