Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Low b12 - what supplements should I tak?

(7 Posts)
LashesandLipstick Thu 25-Jun-15 11:05:37

Been going to the GP with vague symptoms for years, been told it's everything from mild iron deficiency to all in my head to nothing at all. Today found out I'm low in B12. Googled it and it makes sense, I have almost all the symptoms.

I'm thinking of buying an OTC supplement but wondering if being 30 weeks pregnant affects it? I would have thought being low is worse than taking a supplement but would like advice

TheSpottedZebra Thu 25-Jun-15 11:10:39

Did the dr advise supplementation?

You could happily take a pregnancy supplement that gave you lots of everything, but no other OTC supplements (eg super high does of B12) will be billed as suitable for use during pregnancy.

LashesandLipstick Thu 25-Jun-15 11:16:11

No because it was a comment made after, the appointment was about my cesarean but she mentioned my "low b12 levels" and asked if I was vegetarian. She told me to take pregnacare which caused me severe sickness, I told her this but she said "it won't now you're 30 weeks" but I tried it again 3 weeks ago and it still caused vomiting...

TheSpottedZebra Thu 25-Jun-15 11:25:48

Did you throw up the whole tablet because it was so big? Apols for tmi question!
If so, could you find a smaller pregnancy vitamin tablet? They have the sizes on the side of the pack quite often.

Or if not, a b12 tablet, but RDA/NRI level only I'd think. They can be tiny.

And can you up your dietary sources? Eggs and dairy, and marmite if you like that? I'm a hater.

LashesandLipstick Thu 25-Jun-15 11:29:23

It causes me to throw up the tablet and then continue to be sick for a while after. I wondered if it was the size as I've taken multivitamins before with no problems!

Thanks smile do you know what size that is? I'm looking on Holland and Barrat but getting confused as I can't work out what the symbol means (micrograms? Milligrams?)

Trying to increase dairy, I'm not a marmite fan either but I'm going to see if I can get more dairy. I've never been a fan of animal products so this will be hard

TheSpottedZebra Thu 25-Jun-15 12:35:11

The weight thing relates to the quantity of each active ingredient in a tablet - but tablets are mostly filler so it doesn't directly correspond to the size of the tablet. Definitely Boots, Sainsburys and many brands put an actual size picture of the tablet on the side of the pack, so you're possibly best off having a browse in store.

What about adding in a smoothie with fruit and dairy?

LashesandLipstick Thu 25-Jun-15 12:50:36

Thanks! I'll have a look

I have an issue with milk (makes me gag) so the only dairy I really eat is yoghurts. I could try smoothies though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now