Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What is an MDT meeting?

(4 Posts)
LivinLaVidaLoki Thu 25-Jun-15 09:42:00

I am currently waiting on results from an excisional biopsy I had on Tuesday.
I had a few questions to ask so I called the hospital. While on the phone I asked how long I'd have to wait for the results.
The nurse on the phone said my results were due to be discussed at the next MDT meeting. These are held on Fridays and its too late for this fridays so will be next week.
Surely if it was a cyst or something they would just know.
I know I'm being silly worrying but I cant help it.
I've had a lump investigated two years ago and received a letter within days informing me it was benign. So, does this mean they think its Cancer??
We've had a lot of Cancer in my family and I am terrified and now I am just sat here crying. sad sad

sallysparrow157 Thu 25-Jun-15 09:49:31

Mdt stands for multi disciplinary team. So there will be the surgeon who did the biopsy, the radiology person who may have taken some images before the biopsy was done, the pathologist who looked at the sample and various other people. It is pretty standard that all lumps and bumps that are excised are discussed in an mdt, the discussions range from 'this one was completely benign, we will call mrs smith and reassure her' to 'we need to do something about this' and the team then makes a plan of what to do next.
So basically, being discussed in an mdt doesn't mean anything bad, just means you're getting the best care

LivinLaVidaLoki Thu 25-Jun-15 10:17:20

Thanks sally. I know I'm being pathetic.

LivinLaVidaLoki Thu 02-Jul-15 14:37:37

Just got home to a message telling me my results arent back yet so could be another week before we know anything.
Considering I found this lump and had my first appointment in April I feel exhausted. I just hoped that the biopsy would mean the end of the process and I'd finally have some answers sad .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now