Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Could this still be food poisoning or something else?

(11 Posts)
TheBuffyBot Wed 24-Jun-15 12:20:32

I visited a restaurant with my family 2 weeks ago despite never having goats cheese in my life I decided that was the perfect time to give the restaurants goats cheese tart a try hmm. It did not taste good and was literally swimming in oil! I'm only mentioning this because it was after this my symptoms began.
2 hours later we arrived home and I began having hot flushes, racing heart, and spent all night having s&d.

For 2 days the only thing I could face eating were bananas and drinking was water. We came on holiday during these 2 days and I began to feel better however on several occasions literally 2 hours after eating. I could set my watch to it, I would have these symptoms again...racing heart, nausea, diarrhoea, incredibly thirsty all the time and bloating. Now narrowing it down I'd say when these episodes happened I'd eaten some form of dairy.

I literally have not had anything other than watery loose stools for almost 2 weeks now and I find it is very ahem urgent when I do iyswim blush. Sorry if that's a bit too much info but it's made eating go from something enjoyable to something I'm dreading! I'm living off bananas crisps and water at the moment!

Do you think this could possibly be food poisoning even after this long? Or maybe a sudden intolerance and not food poisoning at all. I normally have a stomach of steel so it's all new to me! Will see a gp when we return this week but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts in the meantime I think my tummy troubles will be the most memorable thing from this holiday!

magimedi Wed 24-Jun-15 12:49:58

I had this many years ago - dodgy fish.

It came back after a couple of weeks clear & the doc said that the bug can lodge in 'crevices in your gut' & get going again.

Keep up the fluids & hope you get better soon.

thatsshallot Wed 24-Jun-15 12:57:02

Google temp lactose intolerance after gastroenteritis - can take a while for the gut to heal and be OK with dairy again

Lay off it for a couple of weeks, save possibly a yakult or two to boost the good bugs

Good luck

AttilaTheMeerkat Wed 24-Jun-15 13:15:37

Its very likely that this is some form of food poisoning.

I would go to the GP and they should have your stool examined for bacterial infection. Tell them also that you have been abroad.

TheBuffyBot Wed 24-Jun-15 13:27:05

thatshallot Google searched temp lactose intolerance it makes sense!

I never would have thought it could last so long or be so unpleasant! Thanks all gp as soon as I get home then!

TheBuffyBot Sat 27-Jun-15 20:19:53

Hello just an update to say spoke to Dr yesterday.
Agrees it is very likely to be food poisioning. Have to send a sample off as AtillaTheMeerKat suggested and avoiding dairy for the time being -thanks all!

TheBuffyBot Thu 23-Jul-15 19:52:15

Hello - A quick update as I am desperate for some advice from anyone who may have been through something similar ( I am driving myself mad googling )

The Dr asked for a stool sample and of course my body decided that after 2 weeks of loose stools I would now go the other way hmm When stool finally got sent off it came back clear. Dr suggested it was simply a nasty case of food poisoning that had left me lactose intolerant for a while.

However the symptoms got worse. I am constantly bloated (as in looking 6 month pregnant bloated) I'm either constipated or completely the other way. I have a horrible burning sensation in my tummy, and violent spasms to the point it looked like a baby moving (I'm not pregnant) And it doesn't matter if I eat little, or tons I always feel full.
And the last 2 days I have had hardly any strength in my abdommen at all it reminded me of when I had my c section.

I saw a Dr today as was really fed up with feeling like this (not my regular gp) who had a good feel of my abdommen and said it felt gassy but couldn't feel anything else.
Suggested that the food posioning had likely left me with IBS and suggested following a wheat free as well as lactose free diet and gave me tablets to take before eating. Also having blood tests next week.

I have spent some time today looking into IBS - I eat a lot of the trigger foods, my caffeine intake for instance is shockingly bad! Is IBS likely to cause the strange burning/weak sensation in my tummy though? I have seen a lot of people saying they suffer with cramps/pain but mine is not really painful as such just very un comfortable iyswim.

Anyone experience anything similar? I cannot believe a case of food poisoning could have me feeling like this 6 weeks later!

Fugghetaboutit Thu 23-Jul-15 20:19:11

Buy the sachets of probiotics (avail off amazon) you need to boost your good bacteria as it's probably all gone from the bug. You put it in water and it's tasteless

Fugghetaboutit Thu 23-Jul-15 20:19:53

Oh and goats cheese is the devils smegma, avoid at all costs grin

TheBuffyBot Thu 23-Jul-15 20:22:18

haha believe me it will be forever avoided!

Thankyou so much Fugghetaboutit Will buy them now.

Fugghetaboutit Thu 23-Jul-15 20:34:21

They're called Optibac - there's one called Bowel Calm. Check them out

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now