Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

My heel is numb, achilles tendon pain. Never damage or necrosis?

(7 Posts)
OhNoNotMyBaby Tue 23-Jun-15 09:39:33

Hi all
I know I need to go to the doctor, which I will later this week, but in the meantime I'd be glad of any advice / comments here.

I've had very localised pain in my right heel for some weeks. I put it down to a pulled achilles tendon or similar. I am 4 stone overweight but I walk 1.5 hours daily and dance once a week and am pretty fit otherwise.

I only felt the heel last week, when I discovered there is a numb patch around it - ie no feeling in the skin. Diabetes runs in my family. Is this nerve damage, necrosis or me being neurotic?

LaLoose Tue 23-Jun-15 12:39:50

Don't worry, I think you're fine. Please make a doctor's appointment, though! If you're overweight with a numb heel it could well be plantar fasciitis. I think it's unlikely to be diabetes - it wouldn't be the first sign. But pick up the phone and make the doctor's appointment. No point fretting! Take care smile

OhNoNotMyBaby Tue 23-Jun-15 15:10:42

LaLoose Thankyou! I've looked this up and it seems to be exactly what you have suggested it might be.

I have recently started line-dancing which I guess could have triggered it....
But I will be exceedingly cross if dr suggests I stop it - it's the highlight of my week. Yet one more reason to lose the weight!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 23-Jun-15 15:49:21

Probably just inflammation of the tendon, try anti inflammatories , ice and if the GP doesn't diagnose anything then ask to be referred to a physio.

CatsAreLikeChocolates Tue 23-Jun-15 15:53:28

Another vote for PF from me. I've had it once when training for a half marathon and had to rest for a couple of weeks then exercise build back up slowly. I was really painful, tingly and yet numb IYKWIM. I'm sure the GP will put your mind at rest. Meanwhile try some ibuprofen tablets and put your feet up... literally!

Hope you're feeling better soon.

CatsAreLikeChocolates Tue 23-Jun-15 16:12:36

FFS! That should read "build exercise back up" obvs. Nowt wrong with my heel anymore, but am now losing my marbles. blush

OhNoNotMyBaby Tue 23-Jun-15 16:38:48

Yes! painful, tingly and numb all at the same time. Weird. and sharp pain 1st thing in the morning when I bend to put shoes on.

Phew. Thanks for putting my mind at rest everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now