Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Do all sonogroahers say this?

(12 Posts)
BreadmakerFan Sun 21-Jun-15 20:17:30

I had to have a scan recently, checking for cancer. She said everything looked okay and to ring in ten days for the results. First, would she say all looked okay if it wasn't and secondly, what results if all looks okay?

ClutterofStarlings Sun 21-Jun-15 20:24:47

IME (not a sonographer, but HCP that sees a lot of u/s results & speaks to patients after), they either won't say anything either way, good or bad, or they will say it all looks okay, but they'll only say that if they're pretty sure.

By that they would generally mean that there's nothing that looks suspicious, but doesn't necessarily mean there isn't something else.
So eg "all looks fine" might = "you don't have dancer, but I can see a couple of gallstones and an enlarged spleen."
Which is why you'd need to call for the detailed result if you get me.

I'm not saying you have gallstones or an enlarged spleen, it depends what you had scanned obviously, that was just an example.

I would still phone for results.
I'm going to stop now, I don't think I'm helping, sorry.

BreadmakerFan Sun 21-Jun-15 20:29:15

You have helped, Clutter, thank you. I'm wondering who has got in my head though as I'm not panickingconfused about there being something else wrong as that hadn't crossed my mind!

ClutterofStarlings Sun 21-Jun-15 20:43:45

Nonono! Don't panic about there being something else! There probably isn't! They really don't ever generally say things are fine unless things are really fine. Most of these people I'm talking about have a series of scans, so these not suspicious things I'm talking about will be unchanged from previous scans if you get me.

Many sonographers wont say anything at all one way or another.
But presumably also you had symptoms which this was to rule out a diagnosis for, so they will want you to be in touch for results & to discuss where to go next type thing.

Arg, trying to extract foot from mouth!

BreadmakerFan Sun 21-Jun-15 20:48:45

That's what I meant. I'm the biggest worrier ever and yet I'm not worried. What will be is what will be.

MorvahRising Sun 21-Jun-15 23:58:08

I've just had a pelvic ultrasound checking for endometrial unpleasantnesses, and to my surprise the sonographer told me I had a lovely thin womb lining and that she would be very surprised if it were cancer. This was such a relief while waiting to go in to see the consultant.

So I would imagine they would have to be pretty sure to say thing like that. I would think that if there were even a small chance of error they just wouldn't say anything.

BreadmakerFan Mon 22-Jun-15 08:08:51

Thank you. I'm glad all is okay with you.

chickenfuckingpox Mon 22-Jun-15 08:14:58

i had the opposite she asked me do you have a followup appointment booked? (my dd had a kidney scan) me (worried) no do i need one? (this was supposed to be a routine check they because she had two uti's and that is the threshold for "scan for issues") she took a closer look and said yes you do i will notify them chase them up you need to be seen within a month at the most sad

usually they are accurate in there assessments so it looks like you will be fine

BreadmakerFan Mon 22-Jun-15 10:39:29

I'm sorry you had a fright sadflowers. I hope your DD is okay now?

I've got to take my son to hospital tomorrow after six months of pain so it's all going on.

chickenfuckingpox Mon 22-Jun-15 19:37:29

yes she is fine she had over ten years of monitoring to avoid major surgery though!

BreadmakerFan Mon 22-Jun-15 20:05:34

It's hard being a parent, isn't it?

sashh Tue 23-Jun-15 10:14:57

There is a difference between just having a look and a proper report. So everything might look OK by eye but then someone else will do a full report which will give accurate measurements.

My background is cardiology so while you were in the department I would be looking for normal structure and function. Afterwards the person writing the report would give a list of parameters such as the size of a heart valve to within a mm and how far it opens, again to within a mm or the amount of blood being ejected every heart beat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now