Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Please help- Can Children Suffer From Prolapse (uterine or bladder)?

(7 Posts)
yellowcurtains Sun 21-Jun-15 10:42:50

Just that really.
I'm very worried about my 9yo DD.
She came home from school ten days ago saying that when she was on the loo something odd had happened, and now it feels as though something that was previously in her abdomen (she pointed to below her navel) had moved, and was no longer there. At the same time, she says her vagina (inside vagina, not round vulva) is "sting-y".
I took her to the GPs and they did a urine test, which came back clear, as they wondered if uti.

There is no stingy-ness around urethra, there's absolutely no smell or discharge, so I don't think she can have thrush.

She says it is still stingy inside her vagina, and feels different inside.

All the MN threads I can find refer to prolapse after childbirth, obviously she hasn't given birth; she hasn't reached menarche yet!

Dr. Google has terrified me somewhat, without being remotely helpful. I still do not know if girls can have prolapse. The only references I can find seem to be linked with EDS. My sister has EDS, and DD has some signs (but tbh I have buried my head a little about these, being completely honest with myself). Do prolapses hurt (i.e. are there nerves in the 'bits' that come down? is there sensation?)

If children can have prolapse, how on earth do I get the GP to consider taking this seriously? (she was pretty rushed/dismissive regarding suspected uti)
How do I help my DD deal with the investigation/treatment which seems to be pretty invasive/terrifying for adults, let alone little girls who are not used to people examining private places.

Any advice is welcomed, thank you!

yellowcurtains Sun 21-Jun-15 12:12:05

Sorry, should probably have said she has been having problems urinating too, though seems to have started before this 'episode', whereby she finds it difficult to pass all her urine, and has to go back after five minutes for the rest. Hence us looking at utis.
I wondered if it was a kidney stone at first (DH sometimes has them) but no blood/traces of blood in urine test and pain didn't sound bad enough for that really.

sadie9 Sun 21-Jun-15 23:13:35

Sorry to hear she is having problems. Just because she has described it the way she did doesn't mean anything actually happened like a prolapse.
Does she suffer from constipation at all?
The bladder and bowel and vagina are all very closely packed in there. When the rectum is very full it can push into the bladder (a bit like when there is a prolapse). This sometimes results in when you pass urine, then do a poo, then more urine comes out because the passing of the poo has kind of squashed the urethra for a bit (or something, at least that's the way I envisage it!).
Could the 'falling down' have been a large piece of stool pushing into the vagina wall. The stinging in there could be something else...is it ongoing and causing her a problem? Prolapses don't hurt or sting (from my experience of my own). I have a 10yr DD who recently in the last year has woken up saying her vagina area inside is 'hurting' but it has gone away by the following day. I think it could just be her insides are developing and twinging as she approaches puberty years.
I don't know much about EDS would it be likely to be just a very localised symptom like that, rather than a range of other signs?
The docs could do a scan on her bladder to see if she is retaining urine (I think??). When she is doing a wee and it stops like that, ask her to lean to one side and the other and lean back, or to get up and kind of squat on the loo leaning forward and see if the stream starts again (just to see is it something 'leaning' on the urethra.
My only other advice is to look at the real and actual symptoms she has now, not pay that much attention to what you are speculating about (like prolapses) because that may not be the case at all.

yellowcurtains Sun 21-Jun-15 23:59:11

Thank you sadie, I'm really glad to hear prolapses don't hurt in that way.
It is really hard, because she has no idea what it is like to have things inside her vagina, unlike adults who've experienced sex, childbirth, tampons/mooncups etc.

I have explained to her how to move backwards and forwards to make sure all urine is out (as I had to during pregnancies) and she has been doing that this week.

You're right, maybe this is part of puberty- her hips have developed over last 12mo, and she has got underarm hair, and now wisps of pubic hair beginning. Perhaps it's just her body changing smile

thanks Thank you.

alteredimage Tue 23-Jun-15 16:13:36

Is she hyper mobile. Prolapse does not only happen after childbirth. Other causes can be activity, eg heavy lifting, chronic constipation, whilst people with hyper mobility are much more vulnerable. Indeed prolapse is often the problem that causes hyper mobility to be diagnosed. No idea whether this can be a problem for children but don't see why not.

yellowcurtains Wed 24-Jun-15 00:21:02

She isn't hypermobile as far as I can tell- if she has EDS, it's probably not the hypermobile type, though I think even other types can have softer ligaments etc. She has the velvety, stretchy skin. Was v late to walk though.
She hasn't been doing any heavy lifting. She moves her bowels several times a day hmm definitely never constipated, though perhaps intolerant of something (dairy or gluten most likely).

yellowcurtains Wed 24-Jun-15 00:24:45

And thank you for your reply smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now