Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Rosacea.. prescribed metronidazole gel but wedding in a week- to take or not to take???

(9 Posts)
dopheasantsfly Sat 20-Jun-15 11:21:01

I developed Rosacea on one of my cheeks a year ago. The doctor prescribed metronidazole tablets which really calmed it down even though I always have a patch of red skin in the area. It flares up now and again but I have never bothered to do anything else about it as it seems to come and go. Typically, it has flared up and I am due to go to a big wedding in a week. The doctor has prescribed the gel, but I remember how the rosacea got worse before it got better last time. So with only 1 week to go should I hope it calms down or do I put on the gel? Here I am worrying about my dress and shoes and my skin is going to let me down. Help!

dopheasantsfly Sat 20-Jun-15 12:10:18

Sorry- I mean to use or not to use...

Gnome7000 Sat 20-Jun-15 15:54:11

I think I'd wait.. It made mine worse at first and you have to be even more careful outside because it makes you more photosensitive.

Have you tried the Clinique redness stuff? The moisturiser and yellow powder were really helpful. I still use the powder daily and it makes me feel a bit better about my skin.

dopheasantsfly Sat 20-Jun-15 23:17:09

Thanks, Gnome. That is really helpful and what I was thinking. I haven't tried the clinique stuff, but I will look into it. So are you still using the gel? Do you recommend it generally?

Gnome7000 Sat 20-Jun-15 23:35:11

I switched to azelaic acid a couple of years ago because I wasn't convinced the metro gel was still working after a few years of using it. It definitely helped for a while! The only thing I'd say is be very sparing with it, depending on the brand it can go a bit flaky once it dries if you use too much.

Gnome7000 Sat 20-Jun-15 23:36:33

I switched to azelaic acid a couple of years ago because I wasn't convinced the metro gel was still working after a few years of using it. It definitely helped for a while! The only thing I'd say is be very sparing with it, depending on the brand it can go a bit flaky once it dries if you use too much.

lovetomatoes Fri 03-Jul-15 17:00:00

Go out right now and buy some Avene Cleanance gel cleanser; saw a dramatic improvement in rosacea from first use, and I presume can be used in conjunction with gel/or not.

pollyisnotputtingthekettleon Fri 03-Jul-15 17:05:15

I used coldsore cream. Stung. Went in 3 days . Never came back. I looked up symtoms in nhs website and it pointed at coldsore virus.

Kreeshsheesh Fri 03-Jul-15 18:41:51

Are you hoping to drink alcohol at the wedding? It is contraindicated when taking metronidazole. I found the gel stops the acne caused by rosacea but I'd second Gnome's recommendation of the Clinique redness solutions range. It's made a massive difference. I still use it and it calms down the redness very subtly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now