Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Dry flaky scapl - used T-gel & it's got worse!

(13 Posts)
Katymac Fri 19-Jun-15 17:55:47

The doctor suggested allergy & the antihistamines are doing nothing
My hairdresser suggested Psoriasis & suggested TGel

Help do I stop using it, does it take a while to work

What do I do now?

(I have it on my eyelid too)

lavendersun Fri 19-Jun-15 17:58:58

Hello Katymac smile, go for something natural and gentle.

T Gel is very strong stuff.

There was a recent thread, I will try to find it (was on it).

MegBusset Fri 19-Jun-15 17:59:31

Sounds like sebhorreiac (sp) dermatitis, I get it occasionally, and find T gel too harsh for my very sensitive scalp. The best shampoo I've found is the Body Shop ginger shampoo.

lavendersun Fri 19-Jun-15 18:01:43

Look at this

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/2400490-Dandruff-flaky-scalp

I am still going to try Jasons Jojoba, but do a once a year order for Aveda so have tons of Shampure.

Sparklingbrook Fri 19-Jun-15 18:01:53

Did I dream it or did someone suggest Vosene?

YY to the Body Shop Ginger shampoo being very good.

MegBusset Fri 19-Jun-15 18:03:54

I used vosene for a while but it left my hair a bit lank. It's in much better condition with the Body Shop stuff

SweetAndFullOfGrace Fri 19-Jun-15 18:04:04

Do you eat a lot of sugar? Reducing sugar in your diet apparently helps to reduce fungal imbalances in your skin (which is the cause of a lot of dandruff).

You might also find that a fairly gentle ph balanced shampoo helps, eg Lush Cynthia Sylvia stout. Skin is slightly acidic, most personal care products are slightly alkaline. Fungus likes alkaline environments which makes the flakiness. You can get the same effect by diluting vinegar and using it to rinse your scalp.

Katymac Fri 19-Jun-15 21:03:17

Thanks - I'll try some of these, but I'll have to be careful - I have such terrible allergies to toiletries so I'm a bit worried

emwithme Fri 19-Jun-15 22:42:51

I've tried EVERYTHING including Lush Cynthia Sylvia and Soak & Float, Vosene, Baby Shampoo (made it FAR worse), T Gel.

Ended up going to doctor about it because it had been so itchy I was wondering if it was an allergy and I thought maybe a dermatology appointment might be needed. He looked at my head, said "classic seborrheic dermatitis" and prescribed 2% ketoconazole shampoo (Nizoral). I had to use it every 2 - 3 days for a month, then every 2 weeks, now as long as I do it once a month or so it keeps it in check. I think you can get it OTC (I have a pre-payment certificate so get it on prescription) if needed.

mineofuselessinformation Fri 19-Jun-15 22:44:29

Try Lush Seanik shampoo bar, with a bit of betnovate scalp application in the mix if you need it.

CharlotteInBlue Sat 20-Jun-15 16:02:47

Try Nizoral, you can buy it at the chemist.

SweetAndFullOfGrace Sun 21-Jun-15 09:11:07

Nizoral is just a strong anti fungal treatment. If it works it means your skin has a fungal imbalance. Ph balanced (ie ph 4.5-5.5) personal care products and the candida diet will be a longer term fix.

barleysugar Sun 21-Jun-15 09:30:15

Oilatum shampoo is very good for a dry scalp.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now