Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Obsessive cheek biting?

(12 Posts)
Bubblegum89 Thu 18-Jun-15 22:04:24

I have had this horrible habit since I was a child (I'm now 26) I bite the skin on the insides of my cheeks. I usually do it without realising but sometimes I do it out of boredom or whatever. I was told when I was about 17 by my dentist it can cause oral cancer. Which obviously terrified me and I've tried to stop many times but I just can't seem to. I do it all the time, like an OCD thing. Does anybody else do this? Or has anyone done this in the past and found a way to stop? As a medically diagnosed hypochondriac/health anxiety sufferer with a primary fear of cancer, I want to try and start reversing the damage before I do myself real damage.

rabbitstew Fri 19-Jun-15 10:46:44

Maybe a visit to your GP would be a good idea, if you have generalised health anxiety. I would have thought anything from a mouth guard (if you bite your cheeks in your sleep, too) to relaxation techniques, CBT and antidepressants could help with obsessive anxiety-related cheek biting.

MajesticWhine Fri 19-Jun-15 22:33:01

This is an impulse control disorder. It is seen by psychologists as similar to hair pulling (trichotillomania) or skin picking. I think the standard treatments for anxiety might be helpful, such as SSRIs (a type of anti-depressant medication that helps with anxiety) or mindfulness / MBCT. Anything else that relieves stress would be helpful too. Mindfulness improves your present-moment awareness, so could help you to be more in touch with your actions and notice the urge / impulse before you act on it? There are lots of apps and online resources that can teach you mindfulness, but attending a class is the best way to learn it.

dementedpixie Fri 19-Jun-15 22:45:13

I still do this at the age of 41! nothing more to add really

sanfairyanne Fri 19-Jun-15 23:16:23

i do this
a quick google turns up no harmful side effects beyond the usual sore cheeks etc. no cancer link.

Haggisfish Fri 19-Jun-15 23:17:39

I do this too.

IsJustMe Fri 19-Jun-15 23:58:36

I've done it for many many more years than you have, although less now than when I was younger. I used to worry about the damage I might be causing, my dentist said it wouldn't do anything.

Queenofknickers Sat 20-Jun-15 00:04:42

I do this too. I don't see why it would cause cancer - wonder what the scientific basis is for that? I also have anxiety disorder and I do it much more when under stress. Mind you I skin pick and teeth grind too so Ill probably cave in shortly hmm

HappenstanceMarmite Sat 20-Jun-15 00:15:05

Fellow cheek-chewer here. Also hack at skin around fingernails until sore. Do it unconsciously all the bloody time. Especially when driving (other hand on wheel!).

Holden10 Sat 20-Jun-15 13:50:58

It was my understanding that a higher turnover of cell regeneration to fix the part you've bitten off, leads to a higher mutation risk and therefore increased cancer risk, but I imagine this is negligible and just said as a scare tactic to stop kids doing it. I dont think there's a real risk to cheek biting.

Waxlyrically Sat 20-Jun-15 22:28:43

I'm 47 and have always chewed the inside of my mouth. Wish I could stop but I like to think it can't be that harmful.

sayerville Sun 21-Jun-15 20:53:51

Another cheek chewer here! Didn't know it was harmful, I really hope not done it all my life, I will ask my dentist next month.
I also bite my fingers and pick at spots/skin, just awful I know I have a disorder called CSP (constant skin picking) I just can't help it i do it without realising.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now