Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What gift would you have appreciated after surgery?

(14 Posts)
Athyrium Thu 18-Jun-15 17:19:12

My poor friend has just had a hysterectomy due to uterine cancer, she is only in her early 30s and wanted more childrensad. I want to send her something, not flowers since other friends have got that covered. She obviously has to recuperate now, so if you have had a major op what would you have appreciated as a 'thinking of you' sort of gift?

UnspecialSnowflake Thu 18-Jun-15 17:28:10

How about something practical like vouchers for Cook? She probably won't be feeling like cooking at the moment but eating well will be important to her recovery.

Preciousbane Thu 18-Jun-15 17:35:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rivercam Thu 18-Jun-15 17:40:46

Magazines, books

Cooked meal which she ( or partner) can reheat

AcrossthePond55 Thu 18-Jun-15 18:38:03

Are you in a position to do something practical for her? If she has a DH/DP at home, this has probably been traumatic for him (or her as the case may be) too. It might be nice to do some laundry, straighten a room, do some shopping whilst they sit and just 'be together'. Maybe take the children out for an afternoon to give them some down time?

SoldierBear Thu 18-Jun-15 18:43:50

The best present I got while still I hospital was a punnet of fresh strawberries. I wasn't feeling like eating much, but they were gorgeous! Another friend was a godsend in taking me grocery shopping, doing all the lifting and packing and then putting all the shopping away.
It takes quite a while to recover from a hysterectomy, so keep in touch, let her low you are thinking of her and arrange a time to visit. It can be a lonely time.

Athyrium Thu 18-Jun-15 19:19:56

Thanks for all the ideas so far, sounds like practical help is maybe the most popular. I will help out a bit with childcare anyway, so perhaps food vouchers or similar is an idea.

Aquamarine70 Sat 20-Jun-15 03:37:05

Sorry to hear about your friend. I'm a mobile beauty therapist & have had people buy gift vouchers from me that have been for people recovering after surgery. A pedicure, manicure, massage or facial is always popular as a treat to make them feel better.
Help around the house & meals or doing shopping would be help too.
Maybe a mobile hairdresser to come in & do a blow dry would be nice too.

Aquamarine70 Sat 20-Jun-15 04:24:00

A gift basket of hand cream, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner bubble bath, lip balm, magazines & nice biscuits or something would be nice too.

gingeroots Sat 20-Jun-15 11:32:46

My own twopennyworth - I wouldn't go for smellies . It's such a personal thing and even sending a brand that you know she likes would be a no no in my book . Having been given special stuff during chemo and post op I now can't smell those products without powerful recall of that time .

What I appreciated most was a thoughtful card . And although your friend may have lots of flowers now ,can you send her some in a few weeks or to coincide with any dates of future check ups or treatment ? Flowers were the thing I most appreciated throughout my carry on .

Though thinking about it a nice pair of slippers or new wash/toiletry bag would have been welcome...

Kundry Sat 20-Jun-15 11:36:48

Can I also say no smellies? I know people who love smellies think they are ace but they are v personal and a lot of people secretly have allergies and will be quietly regifting.

If I had had Preciousbane's much loved lavender spray I'm afraid it would have secretly gone to the charity shop as soon as you weren't looking. Ditto all bubble bath, bath salts, shower gel - we could be v close friends and you still not know I have ezcema and perfume allergies, esp as I wear perfume, carefully chosen from the ones that don't give me a migraine.

Pancakeflipper Sat 20-Jun-15 11:42:01

Some lovely person bought me ridiculously soft socks when I had a stint in hospital and then recovering back home - oh they were so lovely to wear when I was shuffling about but spending most of my time in bed.

And nice vest/PJ tops.

Pancakeflipper Sat 20-Jun-15 11:42:58

And I like the suggestion of lip balm - so dry in hospital.

And a bottle of barley water. Cos' water is soooo boring by day 3

TheSpottedZebra Sat 20-Jun-15 11:44:40

Something like a Netflix subscription or a nowtv box and a few months of movies?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now