Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Brief vision problem. Should I be concerned even though it is fine now?

(13 Posts)
BaggageClaim Thu 18-Jun-15 14:34:41

For about 10 minutes this morning I had a blurred/zigzag curved line in my vision. It moved with my eye and remained in the same place and same size for the duration. I feel well and have no history of eye problems or migraines or anything I think might cause sudden vision issues.

If it hadn't gone away I would have already tried to get the eye looked at but as it only lasted ten minutes I have no idea if it needs to be checked?

Anyone have experience of this?

Thank you!

LeChien Thu 18-Jun-15 14:36:26

No experience, but anything unusual should be checked.
It's probably nothing, but best to see your gp.

CMOTDibbler Thu 18-Jun-15 14:37:32

I'd go to an opticians this afternoon and ask them to have a look.
FWIW, my first indication that I would go on and develop migraine was a brief visual disturbance

TheLastPickleInTheJar Thu 18-Jun-15 15:22:28

I have these every now and then. With me it starts as a blob in my vision then moves out into a curve which gets bigger and bigger until it's gone.

I put it down to a retinal migraine (sometimes referred to as collar migraine), though this is self diagnosed. I've never mentioned other to a gp or optician.

The first time it happened i was at work and quite worried but as you say, within 10 minutes it was gone. It's only a problem if it happens when i need to be able to see, such as when i'm driving, because it partially blocks my vision. That's only happened once and thankfully i was pulling into my road.

I tend to take paracetamol when i have one just to stave off a headache, and i lie down for a while if possible because they leave me feeling 'weird'.

TheLastPickleInTheJar Thu 18-Jun-15 15:23:52

ocular migraine. I don't know what a collar migraine is!

spacechimp Thu 18-Jun-15 15:26:01

It could have been an optical migraine. I had something that sounds similar a few years ago and which the optician said was an optical migraine. There are pictures of what the shapes can look like if you look online.

It lasted about half an hour altogether, and was a zigzag curved shape which gradually moved across my vision to the outer edge of my eye over that time. It was still there when I closed my eye. I was really frightened at the time, as I had never had migraines, and although it went away I went to the optician the next day to get my eyes checked. I haven't had one since, and this was about 5 years ago now

wafflyversatile Thu 18-Jun-15 15:30:30

sounds like a scintillating scotoma aka visual migraine aka opthalmic migraine aka retinal migraine aka ocular migraine, as mentioned.

I've been getting them for years. They are probably just tiredness/harmless. Worth checking with your doctor and/or optician.

Although the one time, before knowing any of the names, I described what happened to an optician they hadn't seemed to have ever heard of such a thing.

FoodieToo Thu 18-Jun-15 20:06:47

Yes definitely an ophthalmic migraine without headache. I get them when my blood sugars are low and a lot when pregnant.

Nothing wrong with my eyes though!

They are a bit scary the first time but harmless.

Butterflywings168 Thu 18-Jun-15 20:31:04

Another one who gets this. No headache bizarrely, but nausea and vomiting, fun hmm

scarfaceace Fri 19-Jun-15 08:35:36

And another one! I've been getting them for about fifteen years, 3 or 4 times a year. Eyes are fine and like pp, no headaches.

BaggageClaim Fri 19-Jun-15 09:29:59

Thank you very much for all the responses! I haven't had anyone IRL to chat it through with so I do appreciate it.

And glad to know I am not alone in experiencing this. I won't rush to get checked out but will get my eyes tested at some point in the near future and discuss it then.

Jacksonyellow Fri 19-Jun-15 09:32:20

I get this, nearly always when I have my period or the day before it arrives so I assume it's linked to hormones. Vision goes in half of my eye with a zig zag line. It clears up after about 30 mins then I get a pain in my head and feel nauseous. It was very frightening first time it happened, now I know it's a migraine so I try not to panic.

specialsubject Sun 21-Jun-15 14:45:37

joining the chorus - almost certainly visual migraine, i.e. aura with no headache. Bloody terrifying on first occurrence.

I've only had about four in my life, the triggers were sun on sea (solved by wearing a hat), a serious amount of stress and er, nothing. The remedy is soluble aspirin and a lie-down for half an hour. it is nothing to do with your eyes.

if it happens again see a doctor. Also if you are on the combined pill this is a risk factor and you need to report.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now