Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Burst eardrum in baby and breastmilk treatment

(6 Posts)
poglette Thu 18-Jun-15 02:24:11

After a cold, fever at the weekend, crying Tuesday night and Wednesday morning sad, my 10 month old burst his eardrum (I assume - lots of drainage suddenly from the ear canal shock) Wednesday lunchtime. I am abroad where the doctors prescribe antibiotics for ANYTHING which I want to avoid if possible. I have read a lot of the threads here and it seems that once the eardrum has burst and the pus etc. is draining the infection should/could clear by itself with time. I am just wondering if I could give it a helping hand with some breastmilk (which I used to clear up his conjunctivitis a few months back). I don't want to pour the stuff in though! Maybe a couple of drops or even a gentle wipe with the stuff on a cotton bud (although I know you don't want to stick anything in the ear!) confused. Has anyone had any experience with this? Thank you!

Mutley77 Thu 18-Jun-15 05:38:59

If it helps antibiotics are prescribed for burst eardrums in the UK as well. It's to prevent an infection developing as it is a risky area.

I certainly would not be putting anything in the ear, absolute madness imo, but then I am all for letting doctors do their job and generally follow their advice wink . Shouldn't be swimming for 2 weeks either.

TortillaDeMaiz Thu 18-Jun-15 07:29:28

An ear infection with a ruptured ear drum needs to be checked by a doctor. Antibiotics are normally prescribed in these cases. If I were you, I wouldn't hesitate much and get treatment asap. The antibiotics stop the ear secreting within a day, and you would want your LO to be fit before the return flight.

MrsEvadneCake Thu 18-Jun-15 07:32:36

For this Antibiotics are important. On rare occasions the infection can cause mastoiditis which is infection in the bones and can cause hearing loss. Best to have the medicine. I hope he feels better soon.

Aridane Thu 18-Jun-15 07:35:21

Please follow your doctor's advice for the sake of your baby's health

ShiftyFades Thu 18-Jun-15 13:44:33

My DS has burst is eardrums twice, the second time we were abroad. You need antibiotics I'm afraid and probably pain relief, do not waste time in getting DC to a doctors please. The doctor we saw was absolutely brilliant and was a paediatrician!

I hope it clears quickly and the lack of swimming doesn't spoil your holiday.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now