Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

About to have squint surgery .....

(8 Posts)
Sconejamcream Wed 17-Jun-15 16:15:53

I'm wetting myself as I am having squint surgery soon. Not been given much info so can anyone help me?

FinnJuhl Wed 17-Jun-15 16:23:55

Sorry no, I had it 35 years ago (eek) so afraid I can't help, but good luck and hope it goes well.

Will you have to wear a patch afterwards? I can't believe they haven't explained procedure to you, is there any way you can ask for more details?

SoftKittyWarmKitty Wed 17-Jun-15 16:28:10

Surely they've given you a leaflet or something? If not, ask for one or ask to see a doctor who can explain what you need to know.

How old are you, if you don't mind me asking? I had surgery as a kid but still have an inward-facing squint, which I hate. I'm 42 though, not sure if it's too late to do anything about it. Please let us know how you get on. Good luck!

barleysugar Wed 17-Jun-15 16:29:57

Is it one eye or both? Expect a very gritty tickley sensation afterwards and you are very likely to feel seasick and disorientated when you come round. Accept as much codeine as they'll give you!

The eye/eyes will be very red for about 3 days and may make bloody tears.

Depending on your vision you are quite likely to get double vision initially as the brain gets used to things

CMOTDibbler Wed 17-Jun-15 16:30:51

I had it twice, and it wasn't that bad - my eyes felt gritty for a couple of years, but the benefit was immediate

Sconejamcream Wed 17-Jun-15 16:54:45

Im in my forties, it has something that has happened in the past few years and is unbearable now. Part of the reason I don't know much is that I don't want to know the details. Send me to sleep for a few hours!

They did say the first day would feel like extreme sea sickness.

I think I was told that I might need a few weeks of work. I work p/t so thats not too bad. Do you think I can drive after a few days?

CMOTDibbler Wed 17-Jun-15 17:00:47

If your squint hasn't been controlled by lenses before, no. It will take a while to rewire your brain to the new visual fields, especially depth

orangeyellowgreen Wed 17-Jun-15 20:12:50

Teenage DS had this recently. Day surgery, no pain and back to normal in a few days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now