Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

back pain and can't pee.

(62 Posts)
Sweetsecret Tue 16-Jun-15 15:53:37

Hi everyone, wondered if anyone could shed some light.
I was taken into hospital this morning with horrendous sciatica pain, but the reason I went in was my bladder was full to bursting and I can't wee. I had two bladder scans and they fitted a catheter to drain my bladder and gave me a tonne of muscle relaxants and pain killers to help my back.
They sent me home saying to come back if I still couldn't pee on my own and to drink loads. I have drank about three pints of water so far and still can't wee. they have no idea why I can't. I am panicking as my legs feel quite weak and obviously not being able to go to the toilet is worrying. has anyone any experience of this? sad

Sweetsecret Tue 16-Jun-15 15:55:58

Oh and I need to add they tested my urine no Infection.

Trooperslane Tue 16-Jun-15 15:57:07

I'd go back. Three pints and no pee is a lot.

Hope you're ok.

Eva50 Tue 16-Jun-15 15:58:38

You need to go back to the hospital. You need a scan of your back to see what's happening.

BigChiefThunderThighs Tue 16-Jun-15 16:05:41

When I had severe sciatica I was told that symptoms related to bladder and bowels were serious and I should see a doctor immediately. I don't know how to do links but Google cauda equina syndrome. It is nerve compression and sciatic pain and urinary retention or incontinence are symptoms. I don't want to alarm you and I hope it's not as serious but it's worrying that the doctors sent you away without proper investigation. Please go back to the hospital if you feel the description matches your symptoms as it is classed as a medical emergency flowers

Sweetsecret Tue 16-Jun-15 16:09:49

Hi Big, yes that was ruled out this morning. That was the first thing they thought it was but apparently no.sad

Schoolchauffeur Tue 16-Jun-15 16:11:15

I can only echo the previous poster who says go back ASAP. My DD is currently being treated for acute back pain and sciatica and her physio referred her to gp as emergency walk in as she suspected causa equina possibility as Dd reported difficulty in urinating and a numb sensation between legs . Gp decided it wasn't this, but advised Dd to go straight to a and e if it got any worse at all. Please go back! I hope you are ok . I know what a terrible painful time you must be having with this.

Schoolchauffeur Tue 16-Jun-15 16:11:59

Oh sorry cross post! But I still think you should go back!

BigChiefThunderThighs Tue 16-Jun-15 16:13:00

Glad that's been ruled out but I'm assuming you'll still have to go back to be catheterised again, I hope they get to the bottom of what's going on.

Sweetsecret Tue 16-Jun-15 16:14:20

Thanks guys, I will go back when I can. my children are being looked after at the moment so waiting for my ex husband to finish work and come and help me. this is a nightmare.sad

noddyholder Tue 16-Jun-15 16:15:05

Kidney stones gave me that level of pain

SophieHatters Tue 16-Jun-15 16:16:03

How did they rule it out OP?

SophieHatters Tue 16-Jun-15 16:18:00

See here

Really, really important to get it seen to NOW if it is.

GoodToesNotSoGoodToes Tue 16-Jun-15 16:19:18

There is a reason there are so many medical misdiagnosis legal adverts. Go and get looked at again.

Sweetsecret Tue 16-Jun-15 16:24:27

I don't know how they ruled it out, to be honest they were quite dubious about the information they gave me. I just don't know will go again later. Wierd enough my brother was admitted into hospital a few weeks ago suspecting he had exactly the same thing, I hadn't heard of it until then. He had an MRI scan to rule it out which I didn't.sad

Fififififi Tue 16-Jun-15 16:29:02

Go back. Did they talk about a scan for your sciatica?

Sweetsecret Tue 16-Jun-15 16:37:20

No, the only scan I had was on my bladder, and that was just to see if it was full enough to warrant a catheter, it was. I.am really panicking now.sad

SophieHatters Tue 16-Jun-15 16:45:24

Is there someone else you could leave them with, love?

By the way there are other things it could be, that aren't so scary. It's just we want to be sure you are alright.

TheTravellingLemon Tue 16-Jun-15 16:53:49

Please try not to panic Sweetsecret. Is there anyone who can fill in with your DC until your ex is back from work? I really do think that you need to go back and I think it probably should be soon. It might be easily treatable, but you've drunk 3 pints and can't do a wee so whatever the cause, you'll need help pretty soon.

chairmeoh Tue 16-Jun-15 16:56:00

Can anyone sit with the children until exH comes back? I really think you need to get back to hospital as soon as poss.
As others have said, don't panic, I'm sure there are many possible reasons for this, but the sooner you can get diagnosed the sooner you'll be feeling better.

LadyEdith Tue 16-Jun-15 16:57:17

If your back pain can take it try sitting on loo with legs as wide apart as you can then lean forward as far as you can. Worked when I had retention although mine was childbirth related. So might not work, but worth a try?

Sweetsecret Tue 16-Jun-15 16:57:26

Thanks everyone, on my to the hospital now. my step dad is watching the kids until ex gets back. will keep you posted.

SophieHatters Tue 16-Jun-15 16:58:55

Oh I am really glad to hear it smile I hope they can make you more comfortable and find out properly what is going on.

notapizzaeater Tue 16-Jun-15 17:01:41

Good, hope they look properly into it this time

Kundry Tue 16-Jun-15 17:02:58

Specifically ask them about cauda equina syndrome and having an MRI scan urgently - I'm shocked they didn't do this the first time round.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now