Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Constant tonsilitis as an adult?

(10 Posts)
MrsGiraffe12 Sun 14-Jun-15 21:34:14

Anyone else having tonsilitis frequently as an adult?

I'm currently having my 5th bout of it since January, and when I went to the doctor they said I had it 8 times last year too!! But they won't take them out angry apparently because I can breathe properly with them infected and I can still drink there's no need. Despite if hurting to talk or eat. It's rubbish x

PoshPenny Sun 14-Jun-15 22:22:17

My 18 yo daughter had hers taken out, she kept needing antibiotics and it turned out one had an abscess on it when it was removed. Can't you ask for a referral to an ENT consultant who are experts in this? I presume the constant tonsillitis is affecting your daily life...

MrsGiraffe12 Sun 14-Jun-15 22:31:50

It just hurts so much, it hurts to eat and drink though I can, and im all hot and shivery with it and generally knackered and run down. Had it like this 6 weeks ago and only just started to feel normal again

CarbeDiem Sun 14-Jun-15 22:52:23

My cousin suffers terribly, multiple times yearly. She was hospitalised a few weeks ago and it was eventually agreed that she could have hers removed at the grand age of 36 - she's currently on the waiting list and can't bloody wait.
I know that she was refused many times before so maybe asking for a second opinion could be beneficial.

Musicaltheatremum Mon 15-Jun-15 14:30:02

What antibiotics have you had? A colleague of mine found that penicillin and clarithromycin stopped working and the thing that sorted it was 2 weeks of augmentin (co amoxiclav) my daughter had the same problem in 2011 and 10-14 days of augmentin. Really helped and now she doesn't get it. Worth discussing with GP. avoid getting them out if you can.

DayLillie Mon 15-Jun-15 14:37:11

I have mild tonsillitis constantly which I have put down to silver birch allergy/oral allergy and it has reduced a lot since I have been taking antihistamines and avoiding the relevant food.

A friend had hers out at over 50. It was 2 weeks of hell, but worth it in the end.

SymphonyofShadows Mon 15-Jun-15 16:16:13

I used to get this every three months. Luckily I had them out when I was about 20 but I still remember how awful it was. My boss wrote a letter for me at the time because I was off work so much. I think this is partly why they took mine out.

MrsGiraffe12 Wed 17-Jun-15 20:44:42

I went back to the doc today as I've a red pin prick rash on my throat and I've got strep throat �� on anti b's now but not any closer to having them out

Keep going back.. every time. And try and see a different doc, to beg for ENT referral.

I was just as you describe... had tonsilitis constantly as a kid, then it cleared..then it came back with a vengeance when I had young children..I would be on antibiotics (augamentin) for ten days.. off them for a week or so then it would come straight back.

GP reluctant but eventually referred me to ENT who took one look and said 'good GOD those are massive and nasty' and I had them out.

I won't lie.. the pain afterwards was like nothing I have ever experienced (had 4 kids too!) I was counting the minutes to the next painkiller... and the pain gets worse as they start to heal. But 3 weeks later I felt normal again and having them out at 35 was the best decision ever... I'm 47 now and never had more than the odd sore throat since!

DD1 had her out last year.. at 22. She had awful bouts but the docs refused to refer her.. then she was blue lighted to hospital when her airway closed up during a really bad bout. I did warn her it would be painful..and it was awful. But she is SO SO much healthier now!

Keep nagging til they refer you!

PoshPenny Thu 18-Jun-15 13:49:37

Just a thought, could it be your wisdom teeth causing it, they were behind my frequent bouts of tonsillitis in my 20s. Never had tonsillitis again since they got taken out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now