Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Benign breast lump, advised to wean help!

(8 Posts)
Sunnyskies2015 Sun 14-Jun-15 13:49:08

Has anybody been in a similar situation or could help me? I am still bf-ing DS1 and at 8 weeks pregnant with DC2 found a small hard mass in left breast. Tru cut biopsy confirmed benign hyperplasia but breast consultant strongly advised me to wean to 'give the breasts a rest.' I am finding this very difficult and was wondering how essential it is.
So confused right now. Its heartbreaking seeing DS1 so upset. Can anybody offer any insight or advice? It would be much appreciated. smile

ragged Sun 14-Jun-15 16:16:58

Is consultant implying that the hormones of breastfeeding could increase odds of a benign tumour going bad?

It's huge huge news to me if so.

Odds are high your milk will decrease sharply soon & you may want to wean for own comfort. How old is your DC1?

PolyesterBride Sun 14-Jun-15 17:47:15

I had to wean DD2 for similar reasons (although mine was not benign) and although it was hard at the time, she got through it unscathed and it was all ok. I think that they think that breast feeding stimulates the area and increases hormones and these could potentially lead to something more sinister. I know not everyone agrees with this though. If your DS has had a decent amount of breast feeding, I would do it - you are more important than your milk.

TheOddity Sun 14-Jun-15 17:51:02

If it were me, I would be asking to see the hard research they are basing this on to make my own decision. And a good explanation of their concerns. Not good enough to just say 'wean', it's always the easiest answer to those who know nothing about breast feeding.

ragged Sun 14-Jun-15 18:03:44

breastfeeding is normally associated with reduced risk of cancers because of the hormonal suppression. New research happens all the time, though. Have to ask what the evidence is of increased risk.

PolyesterBride Sun 14-Jun-15 18:09:51

Breast feeding overall is thought to reduce the incidence of breast cancer. But I've also heard that many women are diagnosed with BC during pregnancy and not long after giving birth. I don't know statistics though.

Sunnyskies2015 Mon 15-Jun-15 16:00:21

Thank you for your comments. I have concluded that I need more information and have requested a further consult. Will let you know the outcome. Thank you again.

Indiarose81 Tue 16-Jun-15 16:56:37

Hi
I think the choice is yours. You have heard the advice and it sounds as though you need to see a little more evidence to make a decision.

I don't know how long you have been breastfeeding but depending on where you are that may sway your decision.
I suppose you may also be thinking about your current pregnancy and how tired you are as that progresses?
I've no experience with breastfeeding two at once.

Could the consultant have meant that your breasts need a chance to settle down ahead of the next pregnancy? Or was it purely on terms of cancer risk? It doesn't sound as though they were very clear.

Personally I've had problem breasts with feeding both of my two children and although i exclusively fed the second for 11 months and counting it's been at a price. Sometimes I wonder if I should've combination fed but it was about achieving something for me this time.

I guess I'm trying to say put yourself and your family first. As a whole. ��

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now