Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

New Mirena Coil - help!

(18 Posts)
elementofsurprise Sat 13-Jun-15 22:41:00

I had a Mirena coil fitted about 2.5 weeks ago, during a laparoscopy.
Lap showed/removed one big patch of endometriosis on bowel/ovary, but not widely spread - good. (Including this in case symptoms may be related to ovary healing or something.)
Would never, ever, have considered the coil (terrified after being shown one in sex ed in school!) except for the advice that it stops endo growing back so fast. I haven't had children and am turning 30 so this is a worry.

Had started period day before lap, it continued basically as normal, bit longer maybe, then very slight brownish bleeding until about 10 days after lap, with accompanying very slight period cramps.

The problem is, about 3 days after the lap/coil insertion, I began to feel really depressed, anxious, and irritable. I'm already off work/claiming ESA for mental health reasons but this has made everything much worse. Because I was already struggling, this has left me barely able to get out of bed, nightmares and flashbacks have got worse, and I'm just pissed of with everything. There's an unstable element to it as well, feel like when I was younger and emotionally up and down, overcome breaking down crying at random points etc. It was only in hindsight I realised the Pill probably had something to do with that. I'd have had problems anyway, but the Pill I'm sure made me more unstable. So I think this coud be happening here. I'm also extremely lethargic, sleeping more, this has got worse in the last few days.

So I want this thing out of me really, but I feel like I'm playing loaded dice with the fertility gods sad. But who the hell will want to have children with this wreck? I'm going a bit mad and wanting to tear it out and conceive a baby RIGHT NOW. hmm

Fortunately, I cannot do that. Unfortunately, that's because the damn thing has gone wandering! Have been feeling cramps and twinges/verging on pain down there the last couple of days so decided to check if it was in place, and couldn't feel the threads. Was advised by 111 to go to A&E to get it looked at (looked for?)

I swear I can feel it inside me. I'm prepared to believe it's something entirely different, but if I had to describe the twinges I've been having, I'd say, it feels like there is a piece of plastic poking around inside me. Now I'm also getting some twinges like the beginnig of period pain. But mainly, it feels like my womb is scrunching up trying to expel something, and it feel like it's trying to push it to the left. Although I can sort of feel it around my cervix too confused

A&E had a look/feel and they couldn't find it. Poked/massaged abdomen a bit and I didn't scream in pain so they've said to go to GP this week and get referred for an ultrasound. The doctor Isaw said the most likely thing was that it was just futher inside my womb and not a problem.

My questions are:

(1) Would I be getting mood effects etc. so soon? (3 days after insertion)
(2) Does it really reduce the growth of endo? (I don't want it if it's just for pain) - if there are any doctors here!
(3) It it ok that it will be ages til I get an ultrasound? Should they have offered me one straightaway? (Considering 111 told me to go to A&E '"within the hour"!) Is it really likely it's ok, just slipped further in?

I'm just so sick of feeling crap. It was a struggle anyway to try to make things better, get back to work at some point - with this it just seems hopeless sad

I'm worried the doctors will make a fuss and try to convince me to leave the coil in, or dismiss my symptoms because I am 'mental' already. I don't have any support with my mental health from the NHS, just a private therapist I see weekly. So it's up to me to do the things to make me functional, and vital I stay functional because there's no support there if I can't manage.

Sorry for the long post, and moaning - I am not me right now. Dammit!

withalittlebitofluck Sat 13-Jun-15 22:48:51

Hi there,

I had my 2nd Mirena fitted 2 and bit weeks ago.
I was told that because the hormone is being released in the uterus that the likely hood of mood swings etc would be small. I am feeling great with mine. I have been suffering with anxiety since birth of my son 5 months ago, but to be honest the last week or so has been a lot easier.
I had my 1st one fitted 4 years ago due to endometriosis being 'everywhere' I had it removed after nearly a year as we decided to have baby's before things got worse. I fell pregnant within 3 months and since had 2 surprise baby's a year apart.

When having my last one fitted the Dr said that i should give this 6 months and then decide about long term options from there. Hope your ok.

Aquamarine70 Sun 14-Jun-15 03:06:38

I had one in & only lasted 3 months. I hated it & suffer with depression & like you felt worse not long after insertion. I felt like I had raging PMT, headaches, greasy hair & skin, cramping & continual bleeding with clots. I had to get it taken out as I couldn't stand it any longer.
I can't help with the endometriosis but just wanted to let you know my experience. I was also told to give it 6 mths to settle down.

GingerDoodle Sun 14-Jun-15 08:28:37

Hey

It would have fallen out tbh; thats apparently fairly common. That said the nurse couldn't find me; was all set for the ultrasound etc but I insisted the Dr who put it in had a look and she found it without issue!

I regret the day I had mine in; it wasn't that bad at first but then I gained weight, had it out and the crash is bloody awful (extreme mood swing / sensitivity to alcohol, weight gain, bloating, awful awful trapped wine to name a few).

If you want it out; seriously ham up how you feel and ring around - you are not tied to your GP. In fact walk in clinics have not relation to your gp or medical records so you could, at least in theory, say you've had it longer than you have if need be.

Hope thats of some help.

ColdCottage Sun 14-Jun-15 09:00:14

I was nervous about having it as it as the same hormone that the mini pill has which when I tried made me feel low and unconfident (not like me at all), even my friends noticed the change. Fortunately I've been ok on the coil but you may be more sensitive.

Ask for it to be removed and don't take no for an answer. You don't need to give a reason. If they push you if they don't want to do it say you now want to have a baby. They can't argue with that.

shouldnthavesaid Sun 14-Jun-15 09:01:52

I had pain like you describe at first - in fact I was on dihydrocodeine and injections at first because it was so bloody sore. Could feel it jabbing me and I had contractions on and off. Worst was when I was lying on the seats in family planning waiting room sobbing, before having a transvaginal scan and blacking out. It calmed down eventually though and I'm now eighteen months in, I do have a very slight bleed occasionally but no pattern. I don't get half as much pain and all my other symptoms associated with periods - vomiting, severe diarrhea, fevers of 39, fainting - are all so so much better. Best thing I put myself through. I've been told if I have it taken out I might need an ablation so keeping mine in for now, as like you don't have kids yet.

elementofsurprise Sun 14-Jun-15 23:54:17

Thanks everyone. I'm going to see whereabouts it is with scan then think about it. But think I want it out because this lethargy is awful. I can't lose yet another six months of my life too depressed to even make it better...

Ginger Surely I'd notice if it had fallen out? Felt it come out or seen it lying around or something?

I'm worried about how they'll take it out without being able to reach the threads confused. The words 'cervical clamp' are terrifying..!

withalittlebitofluck Sun 14-Jun-15 23:57:56

I had my last one out, didn't feel a lot apart from slight tugging.

Hope things get better for you smile

elementofsurprise Sun 14-Jun-15 23:59:49

How do they reach it?

withalittlebitofluck Mon 15-Jun-15 00:04:00

She put in a clamp like for a smear:: and then I think she had some kind of tweezers. But honestly it was over in seconds. I took paracetamol before hand.. if I remember rightly I bled for a couple of days then my cycle carried on. It was less than a smear.

elementofsurprise Mon 15-Jun-15 00:24:10

But I mean, if the threads are no longer sticking out of my cervix, how do they pull it out?

elementofsurprise Mon 15-Jun-15 00:26:12

And I want it out now, actually. Just looked at the side effects on the Mirena website! This is not that unusual...
Argh it's going to be ages til I can get an ultrasound appt. I bet...

withalittlebitofluck Mon 15-Jun-15 00:30:49

Just badger about being in pain: our local bigger hospital runs a early morning referral clinic. I had a cyst and went next day with letter and has scan.
I'm sure I will be fine. I read up about them before having this one fitted and Im sure there is a thread somewhere where the threads have been Known to twist up around the base of coil.
Hope ultrasound won't be too long.

withalittlebitofluck Mon 15-Jun-15 00:32:13

Also.. If your cervix has moved with your cycle then it may be that the threads were too high up to feel? So maybe with ultrasound they will be able to remove that day,

withalittlebitofluck Mon 15-Jun-15 00:32:40

Sorry for typos

elementofsurprise Mon 15-Jun-15 00:40:18

Thanks. I'm not in much pain anymore, just the odd twinge.
But even after it comes out there will be a while to get back to normal apparently so I just want it to be soon! I wish I'd done the research instead of being so worried about lap I didn't think...

Going to sleep and try not to think about it now...

DayLillie Mon 15-Jun-15 16:48:08

There is more information here: www.endometriosis-uk.org/ You can research your options.

From what I understand from looking at mirena for menopause (my doctor tried to get me to have one) they take about 6 months to settle. You get an initial surge of hormone when they are new, but that should reduce.

Hope the ultrasound comes soon.

elementofsurprise Tue 16-Jun-15 00:51:23

Thank you.
I had ultrasound and had it removed today.
Going to find out as much about endo as possible, anything I can do diet wise etc. to help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now