Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

MRI and sedation?

(31 Posts)
VoldemortsNipple Sat 13-Jun-15 18:46:38

DS1 (16) is having a cardio MRI in just over a week. He's not particularly worried about going into the machine but does think it will be difficult to not fidget. Also, he has had panic attack type symptoms which could be attributed to his cardiac problems or could just be panic attacks. We won't know until we have the results. But I'd hate for him to have an episode while in the scanner and them have to pull the test if it could be avoided.

I'm unsure whether it's worth phoning up ahead of time and ask for mild sedation or if he will be fine without it. Has anybody with experience of MRI got any advice on the pros and cons of sedation. Also, he might have to hold his breath for periods of time or take deep breaths on request. Will he be able to follow these instructions if he is sedated.

Carelesstalkcostslives Sat 13-Jun-15 19:18:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

stressbucket1 Sat 13-Jun-15 19:56:17

Definitely ring to discuss but I don't think sedation would be possible because he wouldn't be able to hold his breath when asked.
our hospital do them under general anaesthetic if they cant manage awake.

VoldemortsNipple Sat 13-Jun-15 19:59:16

I know in our local children's hospital (Alder Hey) he would have routinely been offered sedation. Unfortunately he just missed the boat, so has to be treated as an adult. I just wondered on others thoughts as I'm not sure whether he actually needs it and I've never had an MRI to go off my own experience.

Madsometimes Sun 14-Jun-15 08:13:36

My dd had a spinal MRI when she was 13 without sedation. Although she didn't find the experience fun (noisy, boring, being asked to stay in an uncomfortable position without moving) she was absolutely fine. I know that many MNers that suffer from claustrophobia have got a one off prescription for diazepam from their GP for MRI's. Perhaps this would be a possibility rather than going for all out sedation.

natdee Sun 14-Jun-15 18:18:13

Hi I'm a MRI radiographer. A light sedation can be given on prescription from your GP prior to the scan. The GP will have access to you dh medical records and can see what medication he is currently taking and whether is may interact with the sedation. your dh will just feel relaxed during the scan and be able to follow the breathing instructions. Hope this helps xxx

VoldemortsNipple Wed 17-Jun-15 20:21:26

Thank you madsometimes and natdee, that's very helpful. I will give the surgery a ring and see what his GP recommends. I just can't wait for the results. The past 6 weeks waiting for the MRI has dragged. Everything is on hold until we get the results. Even down to what college course he plans to do in September. The last thing I need is for the test to not be accurate due to not lying still.

hellomynameis Sat 20-Jun-15 20:37:25

Hi I'm a MRI radiographer. A light sedation can be given on prescription from your GP prior to the scan.

Sorry but that's just wrong.

Sedation if required should be provided either by the radiologist or the cardiologist - they are the ones who are doing the scan and looking at the results.

My wife is a GP and she would bounce this straight back to the radiology and cardiology departments.

Especially as we are talking about a 16 year old who is likely benzo naive.

VoldemortsNipple Sat 20-Jun-15 21:32:41

hellomynameis what does benzo naive mean?

DS has decided he would rather have the MRI without sedation, so I'm not going to push him. I just want these tests over with now.

Gnome7000 Sat 20-Jun-15 22:03:22

When I had one the other day I had the option of bringing a DVD or cd with me - would something like that help keep him calm?

Mrsfluff Sat 20-Jun-15 22:32:23

When I had an MRI, as an adult, my GP was happy to give me a prescription for Diazepam.

MrsRonBurgundy Sat 20-Jun-15 22:41:37

I had an MRI scan for the first time this week. I was anxious before hand as don't really enjoy confined spaces (who does, I know) and was worried about keeping still.
I found it absolutely fine though. It was quite dimly lit which I found calming and the headphones you receive the instructions through (about when to breath etc) make the noise muffled and give you something to focus on. He'll be fine,
Especially if he views it as a potential solution to his health issues and breathes through it. Good luck

Canyouforgiveher Sat 20-Jun-15 22:46:59

I think he'll be fine but I took an atavan (sp) a couple of hours before and it was great - took the edge off.

I would probably have been fine but my mother has bad clausterapobia which was triggered in an MRI so I wasn't taking any chances.

WhetherOrNot Sun 21-Jun-15 17:55:22

My GP gave me diazepam to take before my MRI. Worked a treat and took the edge off very well. I NEVER thought I would go into that tunnel - but I did with its help.

VoldemortsNipple Sun 21-Jun-15 18:11:43

How long did you all have to wait for results? I can't believe how much I'm worrying over these results. DS on the other hand doesn't seem bothered at all.

We have been told his heart muscles are not pumping efficiently, he's not allowed to do strenuous exercise which I have concluded there is a risk of sudden adult death. Okay I know the chances are very slim but I will be much happier when a course of action is in place and we have a diagnosis.

slkk Sun 21-Jun-15 18:22:22

I find it difficult not to open my eyes when in there, but if I open them I get panicky and claustrophobic as it is quite a small tube. Last time they gave me a blindfold which was great - maybe this would help your son.

Gnome7000 Sun 21-Jun-15 18:59:07

The nurse said about 2 weeks, but it was more of a ruling stuff out MRI so maybe your son's will be quicker?

sikk all I could see with my eyes open was the TV! They'd wedged my head in with padding though, so could only move my eyes. It wasn't as awful as I thought it would be overall, thankfully. The nurse was lovely too.

Moreisnnogedag Sun 21-Jun-15 20:10:36

hello did you ask your wife this and she said she would bounce? I know a lot of my patients who have had MRIs have had sedation provided by GP. Sometimes it's a good opener for the GP to discuss whether there's something particularly bothering them and as said GP will have all med hx to hand.

gobbin Sun 21-Jun-15 21:45:30

It's noisy (they give you earplugs) and I always close my eyes as staring at the roof makes my eyes go funny!

The bursts of scanning activity vary in length but the radiographer will tell you how long each lasts. Having had plenty of unpleasant, uncomfortable or painful medical procedures I consider anything like an MRI as relatively 'easy' as it doesn't hurt!

If he's happy to have it without sedation, go with his flow.

slkk Sun 21-Jun-15 23:19:40

Ooh I didn't have a tv, just music. But tv being so close might have set of claustrophobia anyway. Eyes closed and deep breaths for me!

natdee Mon 22-Jun-15 01:34:23

Oh well I must of been dreaming that my patients got sedation from their GP. silly me

natdee Mon 22-Jun-15 01:35:33

Oh well I must of been dreaming that my patients got sedation from their GP. silly me

natdee Mon 22-Jun-15 01:36:37

Gnome7000 Mon 22-Jun-15 16:51:12

"An MRI scan is a painless procedure, so anaesthesia (painkilling medication) is not usually required. You can ask for a mild sedative to help you relax if you are claustrophobic. If you would like a sedative, you should ask your GP or consultant well in advance of having the scan."
NHS website

sikk the TV was on the wall behind.. Or above... Or something?? There were little mirrors in the eye bit of the thing they put on my head. Best description ever.. But anyway it seemed like it was a couple of feet away. It was a particularly roomy scanner though, I think I was lucky.

Gnome7000 Mon 22-Jun-15 16:54:44

natdee out of interest, can you tell the results of the scan as it goes along?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now