Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Toenail massacre

(5 Posts)
FlossieTreadlight Sat 13-Jun-15 14:05:09

Wise people - I walloped my flip-flopped foot against a trolley wheel this morning and have ripped a toenail off - it's hanging on on one side of the nail bed. I've got a plaster on it but should I trim the fucker off? I'm green at the gills thinking about it.

sadie9 Sat 13-Jun-15 20:27:13

I have done this before. Just leave the plaster on to keep it from getting knocked about, and keep an eye on it. The skin underneath will heal and harden up. I kept the plasters on mine for a good few weeks. The nail will eventually fall off and then a new nail will grow up from the base which will take about 6 months. Or you can trim it when the skin is healed. You'll be scared it won't go back to normal but it will. bit of a 'mare that it happened at the start of the summer though!

MummySparkle Sat 13-Jun-15 21:02:25

I feel your pain. I did that as a child, skipping in open-toed sandals - ouch!

You can get toe and finger gauze tubes. Put it on, twist at the top like a sausage and then fold it back down. These will let the skin breathe. A plaster might make it go soggy and it will take longer to heal / is more likely to get infected.

My toe looks just like normal now, but it did take a while xx

FlossieTreadlight Sat 13-Jun-15 21:15:23

Thank you - will look out for some of those bandage things. Goodbye dreams of lovely painted toenails this year ...

thenightsky Sat 13-Jun-15 21:18:25

If there's a bit of solid nail left, you can superglue the flappy bit to it. I've done that a few times.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now