Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

hip replacement

(9 Posts)
summersonitsway Fri 12-Jun-15 22:20:00

Have been told I need a hip replacement but at 47 it won't last my lifetime. I'm in constant pain & living on painkillers. Any advice or experience please?

lougle Fri 12-Jun-15 22:34:00

Do it without a backward glance! The hips are really good these days and you'd be out of hospital on day 4. You've potentially got another 50 or so years of pain if you don't do it.

alwaysme22 Fri 12-Jun-15 23:02:33

I had my first hip replacement in 2000.

Had that one done again (called revision surgery) in 2014.

First hospital stay 10 days, fairly long recovery. Second hospital stay 2 days, recovery fast. There was a world of difference between the surgery back then and now.

The first surgery would have lasted a lot longer had I not had a car accident. My mum still has the hip replacement she had 25 years ago, still doing well.

Get it done as soon as you can, living with that pain is awful. pm me if you need more information.smile

Wolfiefan Fri 12-Jun-15 23:05:35

My DM had a hip op a few years back. I expected her to be immobile, helpless and in pain when she got home. I expected to have to go round to feed her every day and dreaded her not being able to get to the toilet.
It's taken 20 years off her. She was in and out in (I think) a couple of days and was able to walk up and down stairs. Mobile and happy. Wow!

Radiatorvalves Fri 12-Jun-15 23:18:13

I had one at 41. Quick recovery, and 3 years later all is well. Was living on painkillers, but stopped soon after OP.

Go for it!

Radiatorvalves Fri 12-Jun-15 23:20:10

Seriously. I would di it again. Trouble walking etc, and now post OP I am skiing 50+ km, yclibg a lot....

Radiatorvalves Fri 12-Jun-15 23:20:34

Cycling*

summersonitsway Sat 13-Jun-15 10:09:12

Seeing surgeon later this week, he advised to put it off as long as possible. Think I'll print this thread & take it with me. Thank You

alwaysme22 Sat 13-Jun-15 13:32:41

Some surgeons do advise putting it off as long as possible, mine was of a different opinion and said nothing to be gained by waiting. But, from your point of view, how is your quality of life?

What can you not do now, that you could a little while ago. How far can you walk, are you limping badly?

Nobody should be living with constant pain when it could be sorted now.

Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now