Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Probable torn ligament getting worse not better, what can I do?

(6 Posts)
clareabouts Fri 12-Jun-15 13:03:01

I had an awkward fall a month ago and according to the GP have probably torn a knee ligament. I had an MRI scan two weeks ago and I've just had the result, which is apparently "abnormal" (no other detail provided) so I need to go back to the GP, but they don't have an appointment available for another two weeks.

In the meantime I can't walk properly, am in fairly regular pain and yesterday jarred it again and made it worse, hopefully temporarily. I'm working from home when I can because the rail commute is really uncomfortable but I can't keep doing that indefinitely.

I totally get that in the scheme of things this is a routine injury which doesn't require emergency treatment, but it's been a month, it's no better and it's really getting me down. Is there anything I can do other than wait for the next GP appointment and keep hobbling on? Is it worth trying to get private physiotherapy (no idea if I can afford it) before I get a confirmed diagnosis? Any advice gratefully received.

FabULouse Fri 12-Jun-15 13:15:57

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

DontFearTheSweeper Fri 12-Jun-15 13:25:58

Physiotherapy can be great for recovery, they may also have an idea of which of the ligaments it is that you've torn. And I second pp with finding out the implications over the phone. That way you can know if you need referral to an ortho or if time and phyio is the ticket.

clareabouts Fri 12-Jun-15 13:50:21

Thanks, I'll try calling the surgery back shortly. Don't know why I didn't think of that - thank you MN!

ginmakesitallok Fri 12-Jun-15 13:55:21

See if you can self refer for NHS physio. I sympathise, torn ligaments are agony.

clareabouts Sat 13-Jun-15 10:07:29

Well, I called the surgery and shortly afterwards got a call back from the GP who explained exactly what it is (a grade 2 partial tear of the medial collateral ligament, for anyone keeping notes) AND he's referring me to a consultant right away so it was well worth it! Thank you again, wise MNers thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now