Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

free nhs dentist for teenager, costing £665 for 3 white fillings

(7 Posts)
everything2me Wed 10-Jun-15 18:52:21

Not sure is anyone can help. Daughter is 18, in full time education so get free dentist treatment. Our dentist said she needs 3 large fillings, however as she faints often and has a fear of dentist, she has been referred for a conscious sedation at another dentist, which is approx 60 miles away.She really wants white fillings, as is worried about having so many fillings showing already at 18. I asked the new dentist if she could have white fillings, and how much it would be (as I know they don't usually do white on NHS if back teeth). They advised that this would mean the whole treatment would have to be private, and also lengthen the time of treatment, making it 1hr instead of 30 mins. They said it would therefore be £665 for 3 white fillings, or free if the silver ones.
Don't know what to do now, as I really cant afford that much going on the credit card, but feel bad as I want the best for her sad. Any advice appreciated.

headdeskmoment Wed 10-Jun-15 18:55:44

Put it on a credit card. Metal fillings are horrible but quite rightly not available on NHS as they are expensive and not as long lasting.

KirstyJC Wed 10-Jun-15 18:59:31

If you can't afford it then she'll have to get metal ones and just put up with them. You can't get into debt on her behalf, that wouldn't be fair on you.

When she is older and working with her own income then she can get them replaced if it bothers her that much, replacing fillings isn't that hard to do I believe.

fanjoforthemammaries7850 Wed 10-Jun-15 19:01:27

Probably at least half of that cost is for the sedation.

Essexgirlupnorth Wed 10-Jun-15 19:02:35

If you can't afford it get the metal fillings and she can pay to replace them when she is older

AndNowItsSeven Wed 10-Jun-15 19:03:59

My dentist charges £80 per white filling.

willbillycome Wed 10-Jun-15 19:06:19

Go to the docs and ask for something to help with her nerves? Have heard of people being given diazepam to help with fear of dentist

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now