Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Antidepressants

(14 Posts)
feelfree Wed 10-Jun-15 12:17:50

Hi
I'm curious, have any of you ever had a POSITIVE experience with antidepressants where it actually helped anxiety/depression?
Thanks in advance

Thymeout Wed 10-Jun-15 14:50:33

Yes - I can't say I noticed being much more cheerful, but they definitely helps with anxiety, which, in turn helps me lead a more energetic and sociable way of life, so I'm naturally happier.

I'm on seroxat, a tiny maintenance dose. I've nothing at all to feel anxious or depressed about, but I think I just don't produce enough seratonin for my needs. Without it, I have physical symptoms - wake up with horrible swooping feeling in my stomach, a sort of adrenalin rush. Have to get up and walk around. This disappears entirely when I'm taking the pills.

When I did have a reason to be anxious and depressed - a cancer scare - they were a godsend. I was on a higher dose and I still worried, but at least I was able to eat.

Eva50 Wed 10-Jun-15 19:45:58

Yes. I take Fluoxitine for anxiety and it works really well for me.

GeorgeHerbert Wed 10-Jun-15 20:15:19

Yes. I took Citalopram for a year and it very definitely helped me out of quite a serious depressive episode.

Rinkydinkypink Wed 10-Jun-15 20:18:25

Yes

knowler Wed 10-Jun-15 20:19:52

Yes, I'm on citalopram after birth of ds2 as I was after ds1 and it really helps. It makes me much more naturally happy, energetic and sociable. I'm not bothered about how long I stay on it either - if it's making me feel better I'll carry on with it.

DieSchottin93 Wed 10-Jun-15 20:45:25

I was on Sertraline 50mg for severe social anxiety for about 18 months and it really helped me. I still get moments where I can feel the anxiety creeping back but I've been so much better since taking them (I came off them about 6 months ago)

CorBlimeyTrousers Wed 10-Jun-15 20:54:37

Yes. I took Citalopram for PND which (looking back) I can see had a large component of anxiety. I do believe they helped me. I took them for about 9 months and was able to stop without problems when things were stable and the time was right.

KenDoddsDadsDog Wed 10-Jun-15 20:56:29

Yes, Cialopram worked well for me

AwkwardSquad Wed 10-Jun-15 21:14:56

Yes, citalopram.

hiddenhome Wed 10-Jun-15 22:12:32

Citalopram for me too.

I've had to stop it after finding out it was contributing to my sinus pain and problems.

If I become depressed again I'll try sertraline and if that's no good, back to seroxat.

Ragusa Thu 11-Jun-15 14:00:18

Yes - they make a massive difference to me. I have unipolar depression with anxiety as a key feature.

I take sertraline and mirtazapine. They do have some side-effects but for me they're worth putting up with because they allow me to live happily.

Trooperslane Thu 11-Jun-15 14:03:05

Yep. I'm on citalopram and never coming off it

I had depression and crippling anxiety. It worked for me.

Jemimapuddleduk Thu 11-Jun-15 14:11:52

Yes dosulepin for pnd with severe anxiety and insomnia. Feel like me again but maybe more chilled. No major side effect so sceptical slight weight gain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now