Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

When are heavy periods too heavy? When to go to GP?

(14 Posts)
VillaVillekulla Tue 09-Jun-15 11:38:54

I generally have quite heavy painful periods but right now I seem to be having a particularly bad one. I'm using a mooncup so I can see how much blood I'm losing (sorry for TMI). This morning I've had to empty the mooncup 4 times in 4 hours as it's been overflowing. I think it holds 20-30ml shock. Seems like a lot to me!

I always have to take ibuprofen throughout the day for the first couple of days of my period to cope with the pain.

Should I go to GP - bearing in mind it's nigh on impossible to get an appointment at my GP so it may well be months before I get seen? Or should I just put up with it? I suppose I'm just interested in whether this seems "normal" or not.

EldonAve Tue 09-Jun-15 11:47:00

www.nhs.uk/conditions/Periods-heavy/Pages/Introduction.aspx
Info on average amounts in the link

You need to see your GP
Do not put up with it

Queenofknickers Tue 09-Jun-15 11:47:31

That sounds very heavy to me. Worth checking with GP as it must really affect your life plus you might be anaemic

cuntycowfacemonkey Tue 09-Jun-15 11:52:02

Sound very heavy so I would go see your GP. Mine were very heavy and I'm still on iron tablets after 6 months. GP gave me Tranexamic tablets to try and they have made a huge difference so am kicking myself for leaving it years before seeing the GP

VillaVillekulla Tue 09-Jun-15 12:51:35

Thanks everyone. I've made an appointment for later in the month.

It doesn't affect my life that much really. I mean I don't take days off work. I just have a couple of days per month where I feel dreadful, take loads of painkillers, look like a ghost, rush to the toilet all the time at work, and go to bed at 9pm with a hot water bottle!

I'll see what the GP says. I might nip to Boots and get some Spatone at lunchtime - that might help.

Annarose2014 Tue 09-Jun-15 12:56:40

Always get it checked out. With me it ended up being endometrial hyperplasia i.e. I had a hormone imbalance that meant the endometrium never got the message to stop growing now, thanks. So my womb lining was excessively thick and kept bleeding.

Treatment was a simple Mirena IUD and it worked like a champ.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 09-Jun-15 13:00:56

Yes you should go to the GP and am glad to read that you have an appointment for later on this month.

Heavy painful periods have a cause. GP should really refer you to a gynae as well because you need to find out exactly WHY this is happening. Its therefore not just a question of the GP giving you pills and sending you on your way so do not be fobbed off with just that.

You should be checked to see if there are any fibroids (as these can cause heavy bleeding). Endometriosis can cause both pain and heavy bleeding to arise too so this is also why you need to see a gynae. This is not the sort of issue within a GPs general remit.

I would keep a daily pain (note pain on scale from 1-10) and symptom diary as well if you do not already do this as this can also give them clues.

You will need to be persistent in order to get answers.

VillaVillekulla Tue 09-Jun-15 13:11:43

Yes, I was wondering about fibroids. I looked up symptoms this morning and realised I have all the symptoms (the heavy feeling in lower abdomen, the heavy bleeding, the constipation and needing to wee all the time - a lot more during my period almost like my womb is squashing my bladder if you see what I mean).

I never know if I should tell GPs what I think might be the problem or if they'll think I'm a mad know-it-all/hypochodriac and maybe it's better just to present them with a list of symptoms and let them get on with it.

Annarose2014 Tue 09-Jun-15 13:18:14

No you say "I want to be checked out for fibroids, I'd like you to do a referral please"

If he's utterly crap and implies you don't need that, say "I'd like it for peace of mind please".

If I'm not mistaken its an ultrasound.

Sockmatcher Tue 09-Jun-15 13:25:41

Hi ive been having similar issues.

Ive just had a colnoscopy and pelvic ultrasound. No causes found.
I'm also been screened for ovarian cancer- ask for a blood test.
Changing a menstrual cup hourly is deemed excessive. Get your iron levels checked too. Its exhausting. Ive started taking floradix

VillaVillekulla Tue 09-Jun-15 13:59:09

Thanks. I've never tried the direct approach with GPs. I always worry they'll think I'm really pushy if I start telling them what I think is wrong with me and demanding tests. I don't know why I care if they think I'm pushy though. I'll try being a bit more assertive. So it's an ultrasound/blood test/gynae referral I should be asking for?

I've just gone and got a job lot of iron tablets from Boots. I am feeling a bit light-headed and exhausted today. I can't be very anaemic though because I donate blood and they won't take your blood if you're anaemic. They do a pin prick test.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 09-Jun-15 15:55:16

Nothing wrong with being a bit more assertive; after all its your health here and not theirs. What is happening to you here is not normal and you need someone to take proper notice.

Such problems as you describe are outside a GPs general remit and expertise so it is best to seek a gynae referral anyway.

Thurlow Tue 09-Jun-15 15:57:39

Definitely. I put up with really heavy periods for years, doubling up with pads and tampons most days, feeling rubbish, eventually I had an absolutely terrible month where I went through 4 pads in an hour and half and thought enough was enough. The doctor made me feel bad for not going and talking to her sooner blush and put me on the pill, as a short term solution.

Annarose2014 Wed 10-Jun-15 12:30:47

Definately a gynae referral. The gynae was the one who ordered my ultrasound, if you know what I mean.

There is no reason on earth a GP would refuse a woman with unexplained menorragia a gynae referral. He'd want to be struck off if he did!

Incidentally an ultrasound didn't diagnose my thickened lining. It didn't show anything. They found a wee polyp but said that couldn't be the cause so it was a mystery. But they advised removing the polyp just to be sure, and inserting a Mirena just to stop the bleeding (as it does that). But once they were inside removing this innocent polyp they literally saw via the camera how thick the lining was i.e. the cause of it all.

So on the off chance the ultrasound shows nothing, ask about endometrial hyperplasia. Say your friend has it and it didn't show up on her ultrasound and could it be that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now