Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

On 25mg of prednisone and daughter has developed chicken pox

(8 Posts)
Anaffaquine Tue 09-Jun-15 00:18:27

Looking for advice as we arrived on holiday yesterday and today my Dd has come out in chicken pox.
I'm just about getting my head round the fact her first ever trip to Disney is now ruined and God knows when we will get to fly her home.
Another thought struck me, I am on 25mg of prednisone and pentasa for Crohn's, will her chicken pox possibly cause me problems.
I will have to talk to our insurers about getting more medication if Dd isn't allowed to fly. I'm not thinking about the fact her little sister might yet get it too. Will they let her fly home with Dh when she has been exposed to CP?
This dream trip has spiralled into a nightmare. The only consolation thus far is that dd1 doesn't seem too ill just very spotty.

Klayden Tue 09-Jun-15 10:45:03

Have you had chicken pox?

Anaffaquine Tue 09-Jun-15 11:12:47

Yes

Anaffaquine Tue 09-Jun-15 11:18:15

Just realised there is a typo. I am on 15mg of prednisone not 25mg.

sadie9 Tue 09-Jun-15 11:29:47

She might have a very mild dose and her sister may not get it at all. It may not turn out to be as bad as you think. My girl had only about 5 spots and her only symptom was not being able to sleep the second night and I gave her Nurofen. Her brother was exposed then and when he was younger at playschool and never got them. Your girl may do just fine with a dose of Calpol and still enjoy her holiday.

Anaffaquine Tue 09-Jun-15 11:36:17

Just realised there is a typo. I am on 15mg of prednisone not 25mg.

ShinySilver Tue 09-Jun-15 11:36:28

I know you are meant to avoid chickenpox when on steroids. Could you ring your GP for advice (I know that would be expensive!) or do you have medical insurance for your holiday and could see a doctor there?

Klayden Tue 09-Jun-15 12:37:53

I'm on immunosuppressants and often on steroids. I'm advised to avoid, if possible. The risk is much less if you've had chicken pox. You need to keep an eye out for shingles or for a second reoccurrence of chicken pox for you, not totally unheard of! If you do, you need to seek urgent medical attention. Otherwise, you'll probably be ok.

Sorry you're in this position though. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now