Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DH discharged from hospital with no diagnosis for extruciating stomach pains, any ideas?

(35 Posts)
silver1977 Mon 08-Jun-15 22:21:56

DH got sent to hospital from doctors as in so much pain, been going on for hours, had an attack previous night also lasting 4 hours. Just agonising stomach pain, right in the centre at the top, under ribs, occasionally radiated to his back, he was rolling around on the floor in pain, no position relieved it. On morphine in hospital which he said was such a relief and he seemed well on it, had x-rays, ultrasound and ct scan and nothing found! I was convinced he had gallstones as symptoms sounded so similar, really shocked when they didn't find anything!

He has been sent home as they are baffled! Got an outpatients appointment for a couple of weeks time but can't see how he can last that long as he is still in pain, not as bad as he was as has some pain relief meds but not as good as morphine.

Great they have ruled out anything major but something has got to be causing this excruciating pain surely? He is self employed, we have 3 young children and he has been told not to drive/work for at least a week so no money coming in, desperate for some answers. Wondered if symptoms sounded familiar to anyone else?
Thanks.

Millipedewithherfeetup Mon 08-Jun-15 22:49:37

Sounds like gallstones, my dn was in and out of hospital with same symptoms, she had her gall bladder removed in the end, just keep going back to a & e every time the symptoms present.

sanquhar Mon 08-Jun-15 22:52:56

Sounds like an ulcer. I get it too. Feels like I have been punched right under the sternum and also have back ache.

Get some cocodamol and some Rennie's, see if that helps.

QuiteLikely5 Mon 08-Jun-15 22:53:26

Wow!

If I was I as much pain as you describe I think I would refuse to leave without a diagnosis..,,,,..

silver1977 Mon 08-Jun-15 22:53:30

Thanks Millipede...did it take a while for them to be diagnosed too? Odd scan didn't show anything up, is it possible could have been missed on a scan do you think?

silver1977 Mon 08-Jun-15 22:56:41

Quitelikely5 don't think he had much choice! They said about 20% of cases they never get to the bottom of! Ridiculous!
sanquhar did your ulcer show on a scan? Nothing showed up at all apparently. Really think he needs a camera down to see whats going on, if he is that bad again I will take him to a and e.

withalittlebitofluck Mon 08-Jun-15 22:58:46

Many years ago I went through the same pain, got to scan and nothing to be seen. Dr said he thought gallstones and I had managed to pass them.
Just after having my baby 4 months ago it started again.. Especially after eating. Saw gp who said it could be gallstones or slight ulcer. Gave me tablets to try and told me to use Rennie. Also to eat smaller meals, cut fizzy drinks alcohol etc and limit caffeine and it did work.
The pain is unbelievable, your poor dh.

sanquhar Mon 08-Jun-15 23:00:44

I never had a scan. I just went to the gp, told him my symptoms and he said 'ulcer!' and gave a script for lansoprazole (sp)

My ulcer is flaring up right now and if I wasn't nice and high on codeine I would be writhing and crying.

chocolatespiders Mon 08-Jun-15 23:03:20

Has he had any strange bowel movements?

Millipedewithherfeetup Mon 08-Jun-15 23:09:43

Hi, no the scans did not show anything, she was in agony, when the gall bladder was removed it was full of stones. As ive said she was in and out of hospital for a good few weeks, poor girl was at the end of her tether, so much better now though, dont let your dh suffer in silence, just keep going back to a & E it will get sorted in the end.

silver1977 Mon 08-Jun-15 23:14:54

Thanks so much for replies,really helpful, will keep badgering gp or a and e if necessary!

Millipedewithherfeetup Mon 08-Jun-15 23:45:20

Wishing you both good luck !

Bugsylugs Mon 08-Jun-15 23:51:06

Ulcer / inflammation of stomach oesophagus wouldn't show up on scans necessarily. Hope he feels better soon

AlpacaMyBags Tue 09-Jun-15 00:13:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

silver1977 Wed 10-Jun-15 16:06:16

Just thought would update...I took him back into hospital, was in agony again, he was literally begging them to do something! Then he called me earlier saying they are sending him home again! Just ridiculous, they only just done his bloods again, nothing else to investigate, anyone got any experience on what they would do next? Is MRI an option? Or the camera down? It seems they don't take him seriously once the pain is under control but he can't have morphine at home, it's just masking the problem. Arrgghh!! It's so frustrating....thanks anyone!

Millipedewithherfeetup Wed 10-Jun-15 20:42:43

Hi sorry but cant give you anymore info than before, my dn was admitted for a whole week, in agony etc, did blood tests, scans not mri though, was sent home just with painkillers and no diagnosis, out on the Friday, was admitted again on the monday i think, 2 days same thing ,discharged, it was over a month before they actually took her gallbladder out, all you can do is keep going back when tbe symptoms present fingers crossed it might just be a stone on tbe move and he will pass it, feel so sorry for you and him but think it really is just a waiting game.

Millipedewithherfeetup Fri 12-Jun-15 18:03:00

Hi silver, any update ?

Cocolepew Fri 12-Jun-15 18:07:06

I get gallbladder pain, I don't have stones but I think it's "sludgey" and it can cause the duct to go into a spasm. I've had a gallbladder scan and it was clear. I thought I was having a heart attack . My dr even phoned for an ambulance. The pain is ridiculous.

CarbeDiem Fri 12-Jun-15 18:37:01

It certainly sounds like gallstones.
He CAN have morphine at home - ask for a prescription for Oramorph.
Poor bugger! hope it's diagnosed and sorted soon.

madoldwoman Fri 12-Jun-15 18:42:39

Definitely sounds like gallstones. They don't actually have to be stones, mine just looked like very fine gravel when they were taken out so may not show up.

Lottiedaisytoby Fri 12-Jun-15 19:42:22

Will be reading this with interest. Long story short I was sure i had gallstones, every symptom fits and the pain is horrible. Anyway just had mri and my gallbladder looks fine. Got 6 weeks until I am seen in outpatients where I am very worried they will now fob me off. I have every sympathy.

Sparkletastic Fri 12-Jun-15 19:45:25

Had 2 friends experience this. Gallstones in both cases and both had gallbladders removed after a year of similar symptoms. Not saying it's that but worth exploring.

Preminstreltension Fri 12-Jun-15 19:50:00

Mine was sludge too. Gallbladder out was the solution.

Can he stay v low fat to test if it's that. If not pursue the ulcer thing.

Sunflower1985 Fri 12-Jun-15 19:51:33

An allergic reaction to codeine gave me these symptoms. A+E, X-rays and a night in hospital and nothing to be detected. Could it have been a reaction to anything?

silver1977 Sat 13-Jun-15 19:24:17

Sorry only just had chance to log-on again! My poor ds has sickness bug now, all fun in our house! Thanks so much for replies, although wouldn't wish pain on anyone it's nice to know others have been in the same boat and some have had solutions.

Lottie so sorry to hear you're not getting any answers either, are you in constant pain or does it come and go? Hope your appointment sheds some light.

madoldwoman did the 'gravel' show up on a scan or did they just remove gallbladder expecting it to be that?

cocolepew have docs said prob 'sludgey' or have you had to self diagnose?! Just wondering how they can tell! Hope you get sorted too.

Thanks everyone. Don't think can be an allergic reaction as hadn't taken anything or done anything different. He has been bit stressed lately and we had been out for a 'heavy' meal as was my birthday so he has been reading up today and thinking bad case of IBS. Never had problems before though and I wasn't sure the pain could be quite that bad with IBS? I know it can be horrible but feeling like you are dying, not sure? I don't know, i'm sure some out there will disagree with that!

He is going to book an appointment with gp this week and see if he can help, he is also waiting for outpatient apt with a gastro consultant. Thanks so much for replies really appreciate it as we are still none the wiser!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now