Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Wisdom tooth extraction with sinus fistula, when does the pain stop?

(13 Posts)
Fluffycloudland77 Mon 08-Jun-15 16:57:53

Dh had it done this morning, how long until the worst of the pain goes?

he's on co co codamol 30/500 but it's still sore. He looks like he's been punched.

Mrsmorton Mon 08-Jun-15 17:10:31

When you say sinus fistula, do you mean a hole was made into the sinus today?
Most sinus communications heal themselves and the mucosa is very quick to heal (within 48 hours) but the bone will take a while to regenerate.

Was it sutured up? Having a tooth out should be thought of as jaw surgery rather than minimised to "having a tooth out". The more bone that has been damaged/removed (whether deliberately or by accident) the longer the healing process takes.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 08-Jun-15 17:19:23

Yes, a hole. It's all been stitched.

There's cuts all over the roof of his mouth. It was done at the dental hospital.

Mrsmorton Mon 08-Jun-15 17:25:23

So was this a repair of the hole that was made previously or was the hole made today? The cuts may well have been flaps in order to generate sufficient tissue to cover the hole, the space where the tissue (gum) has come from will heal but it takes quite a while for the palate to heal, the blood supply isn't amazing up there. It's fairly routine surgery though so he should be ok in a few days. You would expect to be sore for a bit after an operation normally?

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 08-Jun-15 17:34:23

Yes, I would but he's sayings worse than his ca op.

He had part of a rotten wisdom tooth out on Saturday, the drill stopped working so they couldn't finish.

She ref to the dental hospital and it turns out it was a three rooted one.

The fistula was done today. Risk of surgery.

Mrsmorton Mon 08-Jun-15 17:40:47

I reckon it will start to feel better within 24 hours. More quickly than if it's a repair of an old fistula. That's just my opinion! Is he a smoker..?

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 08-Jun-15 17:43:43

He was but not since 2012. I'm a podiatrist so I can see that his arteries are most likely furred up anyway.

I wouldn't expect peripheral vascular disease to clear 3 years after giving up so why would a jaw be different?.

A thank you.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 09-Jun-15 17:01:43

Is it meant to have white spots the wound site? He has been using the chlorhex mouthwash.

Mrsmorton Tue 09-Jun-15 17:14:37

Yes, that sounds normal. You could post a pic..? grin

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 09-Jun-15 17:16:03

But then he'd know about the thread.....

Mrsmorton Tue 09-Jun-15 17:31:26

Hahaa. Ok. Fair enough!

White spots happen around extraction sites (and other surgery) I reckon it's to do with the skin not sloughing off like it normally does. Anyway, yes it's normal. How is he feeling today?

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 09-Jun-15 17:43:59

Looks like he's had a stroke. Not sore anymore.

LIke he has an egg in his mouth.

DueInFebruary Wed 10-Jun-15 18:33:59

He should refrain from rinsing his mouth for at least 24 hours post extraction so as to avoid disturbing any clots that are forming over the area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now