Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Refused to test my smear test... is there anything i can do?

(12 Posts)
Blondiee12 Mon 08-Jun-15 00:25:26

I had been referred to gynecology mainly due to the severe pain I get in my side every 4 or so weeks, usually get an infection with it, I have also been for a diagnostic laparoscopy and scans. I also get a lot of pain down there which feels like actual pain in my cervix, I get pain during sex and usually bleed after sex too, I also get a lot of back and abdominal pain as well as the pain in my side. So my gynecologist decides that she wanted to do a pap smear based on my symptoms even though I am young (17), she said she'd rather be safe, so they went ahead and done the smear test and I felt a sense of relief as I have always wanted to have one done due to the fear of something being wrong. However I have just received a letter saying they have refused to test my smear test as I'm not 20, I was absolutely distraught and frustrated as I know something's not right and even the gynecologist wanted it done. My question is, is there anything I can do to take this further or to report this. I feel completely discriminated because of my age, and say my pain was due to abnormal cells, I'm sure in 3 years time they would have really progressed.

TweeBee Mon 08-Jun-15 00:31:43

Maybe try to speak with your consultant (via their secretary)? I would have thought that if a consultant requested a test they would do it.

TheBobbinIsWound Mon 08-Jun-15 00:34:11

Return to your gynaecologist with the letter and put the problem into their hands. The letter you have received sounds very wrong to me the test was ordered by a doctor. It's not the decision of a lab whether or not to listen to the doctor.

That's like saying "we won't run this pregnancy test because you're under the age of consent/you're not married"

What country are you in OP?

CosmicDespot Mon 08-Jun-15 00:43:40

I think the lab would only work to the contracts they get paid for. In the NHS they will refuse a test if it doesn't meet the criteria set for that test. The patient would then have to pay for it to be done privately and processed at a lab which does private work.

FireCanal Mon 08-Jun-15 00:47:56

All very odd. A smear test is for screening asymptomatic women, not for investigating symptomatic ones. I'm sure a gynaecology consultant is aware of that.

RockinHippy Mon 08-Jun-15 01:01:45

have you thought of going to a sexual health clinic ?? I know they tend to be thought of fir STIs etc, but I went that route when I had a similar scare & frustrating appointment earlier in the year, (bleeding & in severe pain &'even though the OOH services wanted me seen as an emergency, I was turned away with antibiotics for a kidney infection I didn't have)

I went to the GU clinic the next morning & they were fantastic, they rushed me through to the gynaecology department & I was there all day having various tests - thankfully not the cancer they suspected, but an endometrial polyp, plus fibroids, which I've since had treatment for.

I'm puzzled by the smear test too, but your local GU clinic can probably help

redastra Mon 08-Jun-15 02:33:34

Hi Blondie.

Sorry to hear the problems you are having. Can I ask where you are?

The age for smear testing at present is 20 to 60 years (but this will be changing soon to 25 to 64 years + 364 days on 1st April 2016). Due to your age and symptoms your sample should not have been sent to be tested under the Scottish/English cervical call recall system. it should have been sent to general cytology/pathology lab instead.

I would phone the Secretary of your hospital gynaeocologist and explain what happened. She should be able to sort it all out for you!

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 08-Jun-15 07:11:41

I would speak to this gynae's secretary about the letter you received.

Are you UK based or abroad (I only ask because you used the term PAP smear). I am wondering why such a test was asked of at all given your symptoms anyway.

Was anything found during your laparoscopy?. I ask as that type of operation is usually performed when endometriosis is suspected (and you have symptoms associated with that; deep pain during sex is especially indicative of endometriosis).

FishWithABicycle Mon 08-Jun-15 07:29:15

Don't stress about this administration issue it's your gynecologist's problem to sort out. My money is on redastra's explanation - it just got sent to the wrong lab by accident.

LineRunner Mon 08-Jun-15 07:32:57

Good advice there from redastra. Makes a lot of sense

Athenaviolet Mon 08-Jun-15 07:37:59

'Abnormal cells' on your cervix would not cause the symptoms you are having so please done worry about that.

Lweji Mon 08-Jun-15 07:39:43

Exactly, it was not a screen test, but a diagnostic test, ordered by your doctor. Contact them and they should sort it out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: