Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help me be brave .... gall bladder surgery

(12 Posts)
LongStory Sun 07-Jun-15 17:24:20

I am due to get my gall bladder removed in a few weeks' time. sad sad I have only had one pain episode which led to me spending a few days in hospital last week.

I've never had surgey before amd I have a needle phobia. I've had five natural births, so I know I'm not a woos. It's supposed to be keyhole but might change to open surgery. angry

This is seriously messing with my summer holiday plans, particularly when I don't have a proper scheduled date for the op.

Any advice from bravr mumsnetters who've travelled this path would be very welcome as this is a very new and scary journey for me...

... suitable clothing for post op recovery
.... how long to plan off work and for help around the house
.... I don't know how active to be at the moment as I'm currently feeling okish, should I be working (my boss is very supportive and encouraging me to work from home where i can).

bigbluebus Sun 07-Jun-15 18:52:21

My DH had his GB out 2 years ago at the age of 51. He had never been in hospital before and is also needle phobic so he was pretty nervous about the whole thing. He had previously had 2 major episodes of pain with his GB.
It was removed by keyhole surgery - they always tell you it might have to be open surgery as that is always a risk. He was only on the ward for the day and only needed paracetemol for pain relief for a couple of days afterwards. He was signed off work for 4 weeks by the GP but went back after 10 days as he felt so well and was bored. He wasn't allowed to drive for 10 days post op and no lifting for 6 weeks - which was fine as he has a desk job. Prior to the op he just continued with his normal life - both his episodes of pain happened in bed at night and for a few hours. He took his jeans to put on post op but fortunately I packed some tracksuit bottoms as they pump air in to do keyhole surgery.

WonderingMinstrels Sun 07-Jun-15 20:35:43

Hi, had mine out two weeks ago via keyhole. Ended up having it out earlier than planned as was getting loads of pain. I am the biggest wet on the planet and also have fibromyalgia so feel pain more acutely. I was still home the day after!

For coming home, I would recommend lower cut pants- nothing near belly button where you'll have a little scar if it's keyhole. I actually wore jeans home. It was fine. Bra was difficult due to position of small incisions on chest area, think sports bra would have felt better.

I have four little scars. One at top of abdomen (about an inch), two on side, each an inch and one on belly button, an inch. They're nearly healed now.

Felt like I'd been sat on by an elephant for a few days. Drove after a week and now feel like I've had nothing done apart from getting tired really easily.

As to how you are now, it depends on how you feel. Any really acute pain, get thee to A & E for a check. The stones can travel and cause problems so if you have excruciating pain, get checked. Good luck, it'll be fine.

measles64 Sun 07-Jun-15 20:38:53

compared to the pain you get from an attack the op and post op pain is a breeze. I was operated on at lunchtime home by 6pm.

WonderingMinstrels Sun 07-Jun-15 20:40:38

Forgot, still don't feel up to cleaning or anything physically strenuous, so if you can have a cleaner for a few weeks it should help. I also recommend getting in lots of ready meals because I couldn't stand for very long to cook. and have lots of Netflix box sets planned just to watch and recover.

notasausage Sun 07-Jun-15 20:42:49

I had mine out a year ago and I was so glad to get rid of the pain. I had 4 weeks off work but do a lot of driving. I was ok for local driving after about 10 days. I didn't need much pain relief after the first few days. If you have. very young DC you will probably want some help around for the first week and take it easy - small cuts on the outside, big op on the inside.

LongStory Sun 07-Jun-15 20:47:16

Thank you thank you! Can we stop now, no horror stories please smile

Wittynewnameifonly Sun 07-Jun-15 20:50:17

I had mine out about 3 years ago. Again they warn that it is hoped to be keyhole but may have to open up, they say this to everybody so that they have consent in the rare case it is needed.

I had about 10 days off work but I have a desk job. I think I only had 3 tiny cuts, I can't see them anymore so they really were tiny.

I agree re loose fitting clothes, I was bloated for a couple of days. I had stomach soreness for about a week but nothing as painful as a c section, similar feeling though.

Really, you'll be very glad to not have to wonder if that pain is coming again. I think I had 4 attacks before my op, spread out over a year but am very grateful never to have to experience that again.

Dismalfuckers Sun 07-Jun-15 20:50:40

It's a very minor procedure and really doesn't merit too much worry!

I had mine out and was really pretty much back to normal after a couple of days.

I felt much better after the pesky infected thing was out. I was a bit sore the next day, especially shoulder pain from the gas they use, but had a Tramadol that night, maybe one the next day, and that was it.

It's really great to have it out, look forward to that smile

AlpacaMyBags Sun 07-Jun-15 20:53:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AlpacaMyBags Sun 07-Jun-15 21:04:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

charliefarley22 Sun 07-Jun-15 21:14:05

I had mine out 3 years ago. I put it off for years as I had young dc. I regret that as eventually one of my stones got stuck in the exit duct and caused me to vomit for weeks. I had it out after that. The op was fine. I went in at 8am, went down at 11am. I did wake up in recovery In quite a lot of pain and was given morphine which sorted it out quickly. By 5pm I was eating a ham salad sandwich that before would have made me feel sick. Home the next morning after my drain was taken out (this smarts a bit but only for a couple of seconds ). Off work 4 weeks. Most of the pain was standing up and sitting down due to the location of the surgery. Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now